Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Published: July 02

All of you get checked for Sleep Apnea. I was diagnosed with both RLS and Sleep Apnea. I hope this information helps everyone with Restless Leg Syndrome. You are at risk of dying in your sleep; if, you have sleep apnea. I stopped breathing 24 times per hour and my blood oxygen was 79 percent while sleeping at the Sleep Lab. Do your self and family a favor and get checked. I am on a CPAP machine while sleeping or napping. I was put on Oxygen until I was diagnosed. To this day, I am in disbelief. Good luck to all and I wish you all live a long and peaceful life.

Published: July 01

I'm 43 years old and have had RLS for years. I can remember as a little girl riding in the car and have what I called at the time "antsy leg". It seems to be getting worse now that I get older and especially at bedtime. It's like I'm on the verge of getting to sleep and that uncontrollable sensation to move my leg overcomes me and the only relief I have is to get up and move to the couch so that my husband can get a good night sleep. I've also had RLS attacks while driving and of course it's in my right leg so you can only imagine what that's like. I haven't wanted to take medication but it seems to be in my near future unless I find other relief.

Published: July 01

I had RLS as a teenager, or possibly even earlier (about 11), but it was intermittent and unpredictable, and I didn't know it was a recognized condition. It was gone by the time I was 20, and thankfully has not returned. I was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago (late 30s), and according to new research, I'm at higher risk (15%) for RLS. I hope not. When I had RLS, I remember thinking it was some kind of circulation problem, something like "too much stale blood in my legs", so I tried raising my legs with pillows. It did provide a little relief, though not enough to let me sleep, and it was too awkward.

Published: June 30

My bones ache, my feet cramp. I was just diagnosed with RLS and put on potassium supplements. The supplements have helped the cramps, but not the achiness which I describe as annoying rather than painful.

Published: June 30

I have RLS. I have had it for about two years now. I take Requip for it. It is doing the job and helping me sleep however I do wake the next morning groggy and still tired. I would rather deal with being tired all day than to go back to good nights with it being that my legs felt asleep. To worse night being pins and needles. My husband has noticed a big change. He says that it was so bad for me that he could not sleep with me constantly moving and twitching in bed.

Published: June 30

I have had restless leg syndrome off and on for many years. My dad had it, my sister has it and my daughter has it. It seems to be in the family. There is no actual pain, just a creepy-crawly feeling in my legs, and sometimes in my arms that makes me want to move constantly. I sometimes get up and do squats and toe lifts along with arm exercise to help it calm down. . I do not drink caffeine or have other bad health habits. I regularly exercise (walk 2 miles a day) but find that whether I exercise or not, in the evening or early in the day, I could still be plagued with RLS that evening and late into the night. I can't seem to pin the cause on anything in particular. I would prefer not to resort to drugs, but would rather find a natural remedy. My daughter who has it is pregnant, and her doctor told her to take magnesium and she said it helped. But I've tried it and don't notice any improvement.

Published: June 30

I'm a 59 year old male who has had RLS for two years. I'm taking Requip, but have to take it at least an hour before I go to bed for it to be effective. Mostly it's a tingling in my legs that causes me to keep moving them. It started only in my calves, but now the strongest feeling is in my thighs and hips. The feeling usually comes on at night, but I can no longer take naps to make up for my lost sleep. Even with the Requip, I'm up a large part of the night, and am tired and cranky during the day.

Published: June 27

I have suffered from this condition since I was about 5. The worst is plane travel. I subconsciously told myself to feel the tingling when I knew I couldn't do anything about it but I'm convinced I always have some degree of it, I can just become more aware of it if I think about it. I also get the tingling in my arms. The only sure relief is the squeeze my calf muscles which feels great for 1 second before my leg cramps and I'm stuck trying to release the muscle. Does anyone else do this? The other thing I do at night is stand on my tip toes and walk around. It feels like the only relief will come when my muscles are too tired to tingle anymore. I am 28, do you think this will get worse?

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.