Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: Fritz B., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I have had restless leg syndrome for quite a few years. I am now 72. There are no alternative or home remedies for this condition, none. In almost every case, current thinking is that insufficient quantities of iron in the brain cause this miserable disorder.

Comment from: les, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have restless leg syndrome. It's like your legs are so tired and yet you can't sleep! You wish that when you close your eyes your head won't think of it! It is really annoying.

Comment from: sk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I am suffering from restless leg syndrome for the last two years. I tried many medications finally ended up with Bilovas tablet. It is an herbal extract from some Chinese plant.

Comment from: Dede, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

I am a nurse and I experience restless leg syndrome from time to time. I could swear that the incidence and severity of symptoms was increased by taking glucosamine for my joints.

Comment from: papajon61, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My problem is I have it day and night. I really don't know what to do.

Comment from: Patsy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for years, my doctor put on a few different medications, I had a sleep study, and I was sent home one morning about 3 a.m., I couldn't get to sleep. I had another study; I am now on gabapentin and take 5 pills day. Some times I still have RLS, I take a shower, walk through the house.

Comment from: dee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I take Gabapentin and Requip.

Comment from: Scott, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

Three years after being diagnosed with diabetes, I experienced symptoms of RLS. I thought I was going crazy. It was really bad, day and night. First, I was prescribed Neurontin, which did nothing. I became suicidal. After trying everything prescribed, I started drinking myself to sleep. Finally I read that opiates work for some people. My doctor prescribed Oxycontin and it worked. After four months, he said he could no longer prescribe it. I have been on methadone for seven years and have not lost a night's sleep since. I know it was a drastic measure and decision, but it was that or death. Now I want to try Requip, but am afraid it will not do the job as well.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I get restless legs whenever I relax. I have had it while getting my hair cut, getting a pedicure, and a massage. Also, while driving home from the grocery store, while at the movies, and at church. I have worn a hole in my sheets. I had it as a kid too. If I miss my meds, it is an hour and sometimes longer before I can get rid of it. It is a miserable condition.

Comment from: Subgma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am in my early 60s and have severe restless leg syndrome (RLS). I've had fibromyalgia for years and don't really know if this is a symptom of fibromyalgia or actually RLS. I have it mainly during the daytime. I have so much pain in my legs and toes that I don't know what to do with myself. I'm on codeine contin for fibro, but thoroughly dislike the meds – they give me hot sweats so bad. I'm also taking extra-strength muscle relaxants, T3 pills, and have severe depression. I'm on a very high dose of an antidepressant.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.