Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: cynthiaps, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My restless leg syndrome gets so bad that my whole body flops about like a fish out of water. It even happens when I'm driving. I am on ropinirole 3 mg and still having problems.

Comment from: Jaya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

For a few years now I have been experiencing a pain in my leg at nights. It started during my pregnancy in my 20s as a muscle pull; the muscle of my right calf used to seem to just ball up and ache terribly. Massaging used to help it go away after a few minutes. Later this symptom disappeared. Instead now I wake up around 2 to 3 am with a sudden severe pain in my leg; it feels as though my leg bone is in the grip of a vise. I have to jump up and start walking around. The pain usually goes away after 10 to 15 minutes. I have never felt the creepy crawly symptoms of restless leg syndrome (RLS) being described here, so I wonder if my condition is that of RLS or something else. But more importantly, I have discovered that covering myself, especially chest downwards warmly with a blanket before going to sleep helps me sleep through the night. I have not had these symptoms ever since I regularly started keeping myself warm before dropping off to sleep. No idea whether this really helps, but I don't want to risk finding out either. Another thing is that this is always in my right leg. I had a back problem about four years ago, perhaps all these are related.

Comment from: ROSALEEN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for a number of years and have been given ropinirole which is starting to wane in effect. Since a while back I've been getting the same feelings spreading up my body to the point I have to keep taking deep breaths. So now it's not just my legs but my abominable and chest too. I feel I have to add that I do suffer from anxiety and depression and was wondering if the anxiety was just causing this feeling spreading upwards. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in years.

Comment from: Julieg48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for many years. I was told it was stress and lack of sleep. People thought it funny to see my legs always "jumpy ". I was given a prescription which barely touched it. Finally someone took it seriously and I am now on road to a better way of living. It got so bad I couldn't sit at work or even drive my car. I so appreciate all the related articles... good to know I am not alone.

Comment from: sandchell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

After suffering for years with RLS (restless leg syndrome), only because I had hurt my back and was prescribed an opiate did I find any relief. And because opiates are expensive I chose methadone. I have a severe case of RLS and was shocked to find that I now have RLS affecting the entire right side of my body.

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I'm 52,and have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for approximately 10 years. My RLS feels like my legs want to dance, but my mind just wants to sleep. It kind of feels like I have a tens machine on my legs sending out electrical impulses constantly. I have been using Sinemet which as a rule works really great. However, I recently had a shoulder replacement, and a fusion in my foot, so a lot of time resting making it 70% worse than usual. Needless to say I'm looking forward to getting full mobility back asap!

Published: June 23

I have always heard of RLS in terms of jumpy, jerky legs. In my experience, I would describe it as if my veins/nerves were being filled with a chemical, or an extreme caffeine high. I get momentary relief by squeezing my muscles, but it comes back immediately. The best relief comes from exercise. I get up and do 50 jumping jacks. The sensation comes while in bed or sitting in a chair and affects my legs and arms. I regularly exercise, weigh 150 and consume almost no caffeine. It began last year or so and seems to be getting worse. I am 63.

Published: June 23

Ever since I was a little girl, I had RLS. When I sleep at night, I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling very uncomfortable around my calf area. I would have to get up and move around, or do some kinds of leg exercise to relief the feeling around my leg area. If I don't move around, the feeling gets worse and extends to my thighs and almost feels like soreness. For some reasons, RLS only occur to me when the weather is hot. It happened more often when I was young and now it occurs around twice a month.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.