Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: sickandtired, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I am a retired male 69 years old and have had this RLS (restless leg syndrome) problem for 10 years. But for 9 and 1/2 years I was misdiagnosed as having severe anxiety. I am a former drug abuser/addict. The RLS symptoms are very much like withdrawal from opiates. The doctors thought that I was seeing didn't see the symptoms in the daytime and thought that the nighttime symptoms was anxiety caused from drug abuse. Amazingly certain antidepressants worked, but only temporarily. Depakote, trazodone, Paxil. Today I'm on a Neupro transdermal patch. It stops symptoms most of the time, but I don't get much sleep. Sleep medicines like Restoril, Ambien, trazodone etc. have no effect. They slow me down but that's all. I hate it when somebody says "nobody ever died from no sleep" I do know if I take hydrocodone with this medicine the symptoms are relieved but I don't need another nightmare.

Comment from: Mommasluggo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had RLS (restless leg syndrome) since I was little. I always had to shake my leg. For the longest time it was only in my right leg, but about 3 years ago it was in both legs, the urge to constantly stretch them or shake them. Then my feet would get hot. Two years ago it started in my arms, luckily that only happens occasionally. But my legs are constant and now they will jerk involuntarily. I am on 3 mg Requip, I try to only take half because they make me nauseous in the morning. But if not for the Requip I would probably go insane because I absolutely cannot sleep without it. It's a lifesaver.

Comment from: cynthiaps, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My restless leg syndrome gets so bad that my whole body flops about like a fish out of water. It even happens when I'm driving. I am on ropinirole 3 mg and still having problems.

Comment from: Jaya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

For a few years now I have been experiencing a pain in my leg at nights. It started during my pregnancy in my 20s as a muscle pull; the muscle of my right calf used to seem to just ball up and ache terribly. Massaging used to help it go away after a few minutes. Later this symptom disappeared. Instead now I wake up around 2 to 3 am with a sudden severe pain in my leg; it feels as though my leg bone is in the grip of a vise. I have to jump up and start walking around. The pain usually goes away after 10 to 15 minutes. I have never felt the creepy crawly symptoms of restless leg syndrome (RLS) being described here, so I wonder if my condition is that of RLS or something else. But more importantly, I have discovered that covering myself, especially chest downwards warmly with a blanket before going to sleep helps me sleep through the night. I have not had these symptoms ever since I regularly started keeping myself warm before dropping off to sleep. No idea whether this really helps, but I don't want to risk finding out either. Another thing is that this is always in my right leg. I had a back problem about four years ago, perhaps all these are related.

Comment from: ROSALEEN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for a number of years and have been given ropinirole which is starting to wane in effect. Since a while back I've been getting the same feelings spreading up my body to the point I have to keep taking deep breaths. So now it's not just my legs but my abominable and chest too. I feel I have to add that I do suffer from anxiety and depression and was wondering if the anxiety was just causing this feeling spreading upwards. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in years.

Comment from: Julieg48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for many years. I was told it was stress and lack of sleep. People thought it funny to see my legs always "jumpy ". I was given a prescription which barely touched it. Finally someone took it seriously and I am now on road to a better way of living. It got so bad I couldn't sit at work or even drive my car. I so appreciate all the related articles... good to know I am not alone.

Comment from: sandchell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

After suffering for years with RLS (restless leg syndrome), only because I had hurt my back and was prescribed an opiate did I find any relief. And because opiates are expensive I chose methadone. I have a severe case of RLS and was shocked to find that I now have RLS affecting the entire right side of my body.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.