Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: val4nier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

My legs feel as though an electric shock is going through them. When I fall asleep, day or night, I wake up every few minutes because my legs jerk. I have great fatigue and am drowsy because I do not sleep well because of the restless leg syndrome. Even sleeping upright in a chair does not help. Whether it is related or not, when I lie down I have numbness in some of my toes. My movements are often stiff. My muscles do not recover well from exercise.

Comment from: pbfudge, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I'm 83 and have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for about five years. It really robs me of sleep and I never get more than four or five hours a night, and I'm up and down all night. I currently use pramipexole and subsidize it with an oxycodone tablet or half of one about every day. I can't sit long as RLS always returns, so whether I like it or not, I have to stay in the 'up' position most of the time. I wish there was some kind of a contraption that would allow me to stand up in it and go to sleep, supporting me in the 'up' position! One thing I have found that also helps me is to take an ice pack and keep rubbing it up and down the leg that's bothering me, for about ten minutes. Then the RLS subsides. Ice works for me!

Comment from: Booboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I cannot stop moving my legs. I take clonazepam at night. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. My restless leg syndrome feels like worms wiggling inside my calves. Massage does not help, just in the short term.

Comment from: twitchy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) feels like spiders walking on me or a hair being dragged across my legs. I have had RLS for all of my adult years. The past few years I have taken gabapentin and it has helped significantly. I need something else and my doctor recently prescribed Requip. During the first few weeks it worked and then I must have had a reaction to it and had the most severe diarrhea ever imaginable for seven days. This happens to be a side effect of the drug in about 3% of the people. Now I am hoping to find a different solution. Good Luck.

Comment from: frustrated in Texas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) came on when I was pregnant with my second child. It has definitely gotten worse as time goes on, and now affects my arms as well. I can't take any over the counter medications that cause drowsiness (such as Benadryl), it just makes it worse. The only thing that seems to help is the hydrocodone I am on, for the fusions in my foot, and Ambien CR. It acts up during the day now, but really rears its head at night. It is frustrating because I can't exercise due to my severe arthritis. The best way I can describe it is that my muscles feel like they are being twisted... until finally I can't stand it anymore. Then I kick or punch to relieve the sensation for a few moments before it builds back up. I stay in constant motion when it is at its worst. This is a horrible disease.

Comment from: raj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 44 years old and fighting with this restless leg syndrome for last four years. It starts at night in my feet as soon as I go to bed and gradually increases. Even though I feel sleepy I cannot sleep after lying on bed and closing the eyes. I do not take any medicines. If I cannot sleep I get up and do stretching, massaging, walking for some time and sleep again. When I do regular exercise it helps me to sleep immediately on bed before it gets aggravated.

Comment from: marbles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Up until age 60 I had very good health, or so I thought. Then heart failure, COPD, restless leg syndrome (RLS), sleep apnea... beginning to sound like a Studebaker way past its prime. Never noticed the RLS until after my open-heart surgery to replace aortic valve and my convalescing. With a new awareness of my body's failings, I realized I had been having minor RLS symptoms for years (constant low-grade tingling), passing it off as fatigue. Now, seemingly, a switch had been levered which brought this affliction to my daily life. Still working on a fix that works for me.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.