Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments

Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: Oldironside, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome since I was a child. I would always shake my legs while sitting down and I was always told I was hyper when actually I was suffering with RSL. I am now 42 and it"s really unbearable pain. I was given a prescription of Ultram and putting something cold on my knees seems to help. This is a hateful disease.

Comment from: Mimidi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I've had restless leg syndrome on occasion for decades and only found out tonight that there's a name for it! With me, it's usually triggered by drugs: Benadryl, Reglan, and tonight the culprit was Zantac. My research confirmed the classes of these drugs as culprits (antihistamines and anti-nausea.) Incidentally, eating starches before bedtime helps you sleep. I use rice or oatmeal. I cured lifetime insomnia this way.

Comment from: bobm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I experience symptoms at bedtime and feel that some medications trigger the onset, i.e., aspirin, statin drugs and other pain medications. I use a professional style massager and work the entire leg, ankle and feet. After approximately 10 minutes I can get to sleep, it's a lifesaver for me.

Comment from: cant sleep, 45-54 Female Published: September 09

I have found a little trick. Whenever I wake up miserable with leg pains. I put Bengay cream around my knees and on the back of my calves. I think the skin tingling confuses the muscles and actually lets me get rest. I have used this many times, even when the pain is making me want to cry, and it has always worked.

Comment from: fredpb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had RLS for many many years. I also have problems with potassium depletion. I did my own research on the potassium problem and learned you need magnesium to help potassium absorbtion. Take a lot of magnesium supplements now, and for some reason, my RLS has all but disappeared! I think the magnesium supplements have really helped my RLS. Just my personal observation.

Comment from: Dave.D, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

I was diagnosed with RLS years ago. my legs jump and kick at night so bad that it just drives me crazy. some times I will go a week without a good nights sleep. about 10 years ago my DR. prescribed Klonopin and Ambien and they worked very well. for years I did well. then I dont know what happened the drugs caused me to have some sort of a break down, now I cant take anything without having depression.

Comment from: Maudie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had to go in the hospital a few years back for an operation. I was more afraid of the fact that I'd be there over night with no way to take my Requip because of the side affect of if I don't take it with enough food I'll be throwing up. Well that would not be ok after my operation! So I'm all but in a panic over this. When I asked them about it they told me that I'd be on some kind of machine to keep clots from forming in my legs over night, that's a big thing after operations now I guess. Well let me tell you! I love that machine! And if I could have slipped it in my bag, cause I ask about buying one, WOW! But if you can afford one...get it they work wonderfully !

Comment from: EJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have had RLS for about 15 years. It starts later in the evening when I've been sitting for a couple of hours. It can develop into charley horse-like cramps in my calf muscles if I don't move around. I used to be able to eat a banana and the potassium seemed to alleviate it in about an hour, but now I just take a potassium supplement and it will ease off much faster. I usually go to bed when it is quite bad, but it drives my husband crazy when my legs are thrashing about. But hey – he snores!

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?