Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments

Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: CrAzY LeGs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I've had it bad with restless leg syndrome as long as I can remember. It is a terrible experience, this I definitely know, as I suffer throughout the day as well as night. Potassium is one thing that really helps me. It promotes healthy nerve function, and it does help. I take 300 mg in the evening and 200 mg in the morning; might as well try it.

Comment from: Deborah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Hawthorn berry extract provide incredible relief for restless leg syndrome (RLS) and fast! Side effect is that it strengthens the heart! How good is that! I have suffered from RLS for over 40 years and have tried several prescriptions, supplements and suggestions. This works, no downside. It should be standardized to 1.8 percent hyperosides. It is available in health food stores or Swanson's vitamins. I use 4 capsules a night and there is relief. I promise.

Comment from: 23Selba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have suffered restless leg syndrome due to anemia. I found massaging my feet hard with cream before sleep helped.

Comment from: SusieQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

If you are a woman and about menopause age, progesterone cream rubbed into your shins may help. It works for me every time. I'm better within 10 minutes. You can buy it over the counter or ask your doctor for a prescription. I started having restless legs at about 46 (peri-menopause age) and still occasionally have it at 51. I tried all kinds of vitamins and supplements and I walk 3 miles nearly every day, but it did not matter. It was a hormone thing for me.

Comment from: Mjtba, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My mother was suffering from restless leg syndrome (RLS), one day I experienced something. Today I want to share my experience. I am a user of miswak instead of toothpaste. One day, I don't know why, I started using toothpaste. I used it for 2 or 3 days. I found restlessness in my legs at evening time when I went to bed. I stopped using toothpaste and started using miswak again. After only a few days I found that I am a normal man again. I prescribed the same to my mother and although she took a longer time to recover, she too is feeling well nowadays.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been suffering with restless leg syndrome for about 6 months to the point where I have had to change career for something more active. Whilst sitting down the 'ants crawling up my legs and arms' are constant. Where before the sensations would wake me up at night I find that taking a magnesium supplement helps me sleep the night through. I stopped drinking alcohol a few months ago and the symptoms improved. Over Christmas and New Year I have had a few celebratory drinks and the symptoms have worsened again so I am back on the wagon, hoping they will ease off again.

Comment from: chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I've had restless leg syndrome (RLS) since my 20s, it's only the last 6 months I've got treatment. After trying a tablet for 2 weeks my legs started to irritate after my dinner so I went back and the doctor gave me ropinirole. That was ok for a fortnight, now I have it slightly milder at times but at least I sleep all night and not awake for hours tossing with the aches. Maybe I will have to go back to the doctor sometime but I'll try and persevere with it in the evenings. I have also blamed it onto my gut as a buildup of wind; usually the symptoms disappear when I can pass it.

Comment from: 21916, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for about 7 years and it started in my 60s. I constantly have to stretch my legs or arms. I take over the counter vitamins, like C, B12, calcium, etc. Also, glucosamine. I have noticed that it seems to get worse when taking all (about 7) my vitamins for several days. Symptoms are not so bad when I don"t take them. I am going to try taking one at a time for a while and see if I react to any particular one.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?