Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: Shar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I came home with a backache and very tired! I tried to eat supper but only ate half of my supper! I got up at 3:00 am with a fever, pain in all my joints, diarrhea and felt like I had the flu! I was sick with diarrhea all day the next day and called the doctor. The doctor saw me the following day and said I had a gastro virus and to eat a bland diet, bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, and drink a lot of liquids! I did but every time I ate I was on the toilet with cramping and diarrhea! I have had this gastroenteritis since this past Tuesday and it is Sunday and I am still crampy and in the bathroom all the time! It really is scaring me because I cannot hold anything! I don't know how long I should wait to go for other tests.

Comment from: Bektreks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) from childhood and so has my mother. She suggested I stand on a cold floor, and move around for a few minutes. But this only helps on the very mild nights. The only thing I have found to work is Tiger Balm. I rub a large amount from my knees to my toes and it relieves my legs within minutes. I would never be without it or a similar product which produces such a deep heat.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

As a child I had 'growing pains' and my mother used to rub my legs to ease the pain during the night. I first had what I called 'jumpy legs' during my first pregnancy. I had no idea what this was. I have had this condition since I was 21 and it can occur at any time. Mainly when I am sitting, at a show or movies, and at night. It drives me crazy. Only recently it has been discovered as restless legs syndrome (RLS) and after thinking I was going mad I am relieved that this is actually something that a lot of people suffer from. My doctor has prescribed Xanax which can help but do not want to use this as it is addictive. My mother had it, my daughter and now my granddaughters! I find a warm shower helps, especially through the night - sometimes I have three showers! I was prescribed OxyContin when I had a hip repair, and it helped with my RLS. Of course the doctor is reluctant to prescribe this narcotic. It feels as if my legs have a mind of their own and twitch, jump etc. Just recently when it is bad I have had it in my arms as well. I believe that it is a condition that appears to fall down the female line in families. I don't want to experiment with many drugs. I find doing something that interests you will take your mind off it, i.e. sewing or knitting (as I did when I was pregnant). I think it is a terrible condition. I will only fly business or first on long flights, as it is dreadful when flying or when you are stuck in one place for long periods of time.

Comment from: Clancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) reminds me of Christmas lights that go around on the cord - up one side then down. I also have twitches in my toes. The little toe and the one next to it just keep moving and twitching which is more annoying than the leg thing. I have been prescribed pramipexole to take before going to bed and so far it has helped.

Comment from: fredie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

It was great reading the stories of others with cauda equina syndrome (CES). The crazy thing about it is they the articles say this is a rare thing, yet many have it. In February of 2015 I came away from an accident that I should have not. Had I been 3 inches taller I wouldn't have. I got an L1 bust out of the deal. Two days after surgery I could walk but had no bowel or bladder control. It has been 11 months and they have yet to return. The loss of sexual feelings is a hard pill to swallow. I ended a 30 year marriage because of lack of sex. This CES far worse than that. It is sometimes a blessing to cheat death and an injury like this gives one the hard lessons which are sometimes needed. With CES one doesn't know their bowels have released until everyone else knows. Thank you for the great stories because as rare as they say this is, it sure seems like there is a lot of us in the same boat.

Comment from: Don, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I used to get bad cramping in my legs growing up. Over the past several years I stopped getting cramping but started having uncontrollable leg jerks, rarely through the day but mainly in the evening when I am trying to relax. Now I am only getting the jerking in the right leg and the left is fine. I am also waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon about my right knee and ankle and wonder if there is a link between my bad knee and the jerking in the right leg. I've never been diagnosed with restless leg syndrome (RLS) but now reading RLS could be related to nerve damage, it is a worry that there is a correlation between my knee and the leg jerking. I find nights I've been to the gym I don't get the jerking.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.