Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: ALICE, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had this feeling at night for about four years, RLS (restless leg syndrome) affects my stomach more than my legs. I feel it is more to do with my nervous system, I have not had a full night's sleep for months, I just hope it goes away one night. I am 75 years old, fairly fit and do loads of walking (with my dog), so don"t know what to do.

Comment from: bipolarbunny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

This article is the gentlest description of restless leg syndrome (RLS) I've ever read. It's like there are maggots crawling in your muscles and vultures are ripping the meat from your bones and nobody has told them that you're not dead yet. It's not pain. Pain is like love. You know it when you feel it. This isn't it. It is, however, every bit excruciating. In fact, it may actually be worse. But it's hard to explain, the way you can't explain pain or love. Trust me, if it happens, you'll say, 'Oh, this is RLS.'

Comment from: a pinson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I went for a sleep study because I got up each morn feeling tired. I had problems staying awake in daytime. My test showed I didn't have a sleep problem, but my legs moved about 50 times during the night. So I was dealing with RLS. The doctor prescribed Mirpex, but it costs so much I had to take the generic brand for Requip. It does not work as well and I have really bad dreams. So I have decided to stop taking it. I am taking klonopin which is helping me rest.

Comment from: stevo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had rls for 30 years, I could get away with cooling my legs with cold water about half hour after going to bed but now it is getting worse, some things to try are cold water on legs, 5 minutes on exercise bike, hot shower. It seems that when I go to sleep and just start falling into a deeper sleep my brain release adrenalin and until I burn off this adrenalin I cannot go to sleep. Wearing socks and flannel sheets helps also.

Comment from: Bones, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for so long I can't remember when it actually started. The last few years it has become increasingly worse, and it has also started earlier in the day now. I have tried Repreve (ropinerole) from the doctor, but it is so expensive ($50 for a month's supply). I decided to try out other options and so far the best that works for me is keeping slippers on so my feet so they don't get cold, and about an hour before bedtime I take two magnesium pills. I then rub my legs with deep heat, and put flight socks on. I look charming, but it actually enables me to sleep. During the winter I also put an electric blanket on to keep my legs warm. Some nights I still get up a couple of times, but this seems to work for me at the moment.

Comment from: katl72, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 40 years old and I don't remember if I had issues as a child. I do know for certain that the more stress I'm under, the more I have restless leg syndrome (RLS). I take too much medicine (over-the-counter, not prescribed) more than I should to fall asleep and sometimes that's not strong enough. I'm hoping when my stress level gets lower I will be able to sleep normally again. It's almost to the point that I don't look forward to sleeping until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.

Comment from: Chi-town Girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have been suffering from severe RLS for many years now, my arms and legs are affected frequently. I have finally found two things that work for me quickly so I can go to sleep, though I don't have a solution for during the day sitting somewhere. The first thing I found was laying on my stomach with pillows propped under one side and my arms pinned under me with my feet off the end of the bed so I can rub them together works, but don't know why. Then I found Hyland's Restful Legs at Walgreens! This works almost instantly for me, I am so happy to have found it. I keep it in my bedside table and use it often!

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.