Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: Tlsp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) and periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) for most of my life. I started falling asleep at work 30 years ago and have not been able to work since. I have it body wide, hands, arms, legs, feet, and other private places. It worsens with age. Yes, motion helps but I can only go on for so long. Mirapex brought my life back 20 years ago and helped immensely but now I am having daytime symptoms and not getting enough restorative effect again. Due to sleep deprivation my memory went 30 years ago. And now they want to blame my current state, the same memory problems as 30 years ago, on dementia because I am older. RLS has no easy answers. It may not be life threatening but it is life changing. Keep in motion.

Comment from: wordwrkr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I'm 60, and I've been plagued with canker sores as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I used to put ketchup on them to concentrate the pain into just a few seconds, followed by a few precious moments of pain-free existence. But I recently stumbled on a cure; not just a treatment for the pain, but a cure, at least in my case. I take a big drink of carbonated water and swirl it around in my mouth. A couple of times a day does the trick. If the canker sore is just emerging, it's gone by the next day. If it is full-blown, it is better within an hour (stops hurting immediately) and within just a few days it's gone. My treatment before I discovered this was simply to treat the pain; Anbesol applied topically. It tastes awful, and the relief lasts for only a few minutes, but it was better than nothing. Since discovering the power of simple carbonated water, however, I haven't had to use Anbesol at all. Carbonated water works! And it doesn't taste awful. It stops the pain and radically speeds the healing process.

Comment from: Treska, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

In November of 2012 I had an elective operation on my right foot. The very next day I stepped the wrong way and broke the same bone. The surgery this time involved a plate, screws, and a bone graft. Followed by two and a half months of non-weight-bearing. I have difficulty with balance due to osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia so I used a knee walker for that time. Also because of fibromyalgia I have very tight muscles so when I was finally allowed to put weight on that foot I started to get pain in the back of my knee. I didn't think much of it at first but when it continued I mentioned it to my doctor (a podiatrist) who said it was from being immobile and to do stretching to improve the range of motion of the knee. So here I am almost four years later and my orthopedic doctor, who had been treating me for arthritis in both knees, diagnosed me with hamstring tendinitis yesterday. The corticosteroid injection he gave me began to relieve the pain (because of the lidocaine) and now I'm scheduled for six weeks of physical therapy. I just hope that this will help with the constant pain.

Comment from: V, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I developed athlete's foot after being away from home for 4 days and developing blisters on my feet from wearing the same shoes after standing a long time (feet swelling). It is summer and I don't know if I picked it up from a hotel bathroom or if I got it from my husband as his gets intermittent athlete's foot. I think having the blisters made it easier for me to pick it up. It is awful!

Comment from: Pretty Redd, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I found out that using Sergeant's Skip-Flea and Tick shampoo for dogs and puppies cleared my scabies up. Take a shower morning and at night using this shampoo. This shampoo is inexpensive and gets the job done. It has 10 percent of permethrin in it. As of this day I still use it to avoid re-infestation.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.