Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: Suzy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have had restless leg syndrome for many years. For the last 15 years I have been taking Klonopin, which has been very helpful. Although my symptoms have gotten worse over the past two years and my doctor has added Trazodone to the Klonopin to help me sleep. The horror of the creepy, crawly, jerky, jumpy, pain that I feel is just too much not to try whatever I can to make it stop. I intend to get off caffeine just as soon as I can, and I'm also going to try Magnesium (I heard that it helps). I do feel better when I exercise too. At night, when the medication isn't working any more, I get up and exercise, focusing on the area where the jerking seems to be originating from, in my case, my lower back. I hope this helps somebody.

Comment from: RLS in WNY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Since I was a young child, when I would sit to watch TV in the evening, I would experience what I called "jumpy legs." The symptoms included severe cramping and pain in my legs and feet, which was only relieved by strongly kicking my legs, flexing, and extending my legs and feet. All of which just seemed to make it worse despite initially feeling good. My parents thought I was making it up for attention and no matter how I tried to explain the sensation, they never understood or even believed me. I was in my 30s before I realized it was an actual medical condition and sought treatment. As an adult, the restless leg syndrome (RLS) has worsened as I age. At times I lie in bed kicking, stretching, flexing and otherwise trying to fight against the pain and uncontrollable urges to move to the point of crying. It's incredibly frustrating! It is always worse when I am really tired.

Published: March 13

I am a 50 year old female who has suffered for the past two decades with Restless Leg Syndrome RLS/Wilkes-Barre Syndrome and have been nothing short of miserable. I'm thankful for Requip (generic Ropinirole.) This prescription medication for Parkinson's disease has been a lifesaver for me! Mirapex or Requip? Go with a prescription medication (either one) and you should have good results. This (Ropinirole) has been the ONLY thing that has worked for me. Good luck to all you sufferers out there!

Comment from: belinda666, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

After struggling with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for two years due to stress, I finally went to my doctor. He prescribed mirtazapine 15 mg. However, I'm not keen on taking antidepressants, so I snapped it in half and took 7.5 mg at night. I was amazed to find it took the pain away! I couldn't believe it. I've stayed on 7.5 mg and now my nights are good.

Comment from: Jeanette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I used to take Fentanyl patches and it felt like my legs were crawling. This was due to withdrawal symptoms, which usually occurred 8 to 10 hours before I changed my patch. Usually the patch is changed every three days and I was in pain on the third day so it was changed to every two days, which some patients need. I just couldn't describe the feeling other than nausea, vomiting, and feeling my skin was crawling. I got fed up with it and got off the patch, I suffered withdrawals for two weeks. I started on a different medication, and I felt so much better. My legs don't hurt, my skin doesn't feel like it's crawling anymore. My advice is to get off of Fentanyl patches if you think you have Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS).

Comment from: Kathy Starkey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 56 year old female. I found out I have RLS when I went for a sleep apnea test 5 years ago. I have been taking Mirapex ever since, just 1 pill two hours before bedtime and I don't have any problems throughout the night.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms are burning sensation in the soles of my feet. Makes sleep difficult and when I do get off to sleep it can wake me up. Only solution for me is to get into a HOT BATH. I have the water as hot as I can bear it and massage my legs and feet. Some nights I have to do this twice to get any kind of relief the end result being I suffer from chronic tiredness due to lack of sleep. I have varicose veins and an underactive thyroid gland and take antidepressants.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.