Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Published: March 13

I am a 50 year old female who has suffered for the past two decades with Restless Leg Syndrome RLS/Wilkes-Barre Syndrome and have been nothing short of miserable. I'm thankful for Requip (generic Ropinirole.) This prescription medication for Parkinson's disease has been a lifesaver for me! Mirapex or Requip? Go with a prescription medication (either one) and you should have good results. This (Ropinirole) has been the ONLY thing that has worked for me. Good luck to all you sufferers out there!

Comment from: belinda666, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

After struggling with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for two years due to stress, I finally went to my doctor. He prescribed mirtazapine 15 mg. However, I'm not keen on taking antidepressants, so I snapped it in half and took 7.5 mg at night. I was amazed to find it took the pain away! I couldn't believe it. I've stayed on 7.5 mg and now my nights are good.

Comment from: Jeanette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I used to take Fentanyl patches and it felt like my legs were crawling. This was due to withdrawal symptoms, which usually occurred 8 to 10 hours before I changed my patch. Usually the patch is changed every three days and I was in pain on the third day so it was changed to every two days, which some patients need. I just couldn't describe the feeling other than nausea, vomiting, and feeling my skin was crawling. I got fed up with it and got off the patch, I suffered withdrawals for two weeks. I started on a different medication, and I felt so much better. My legs don't hurt, my skin doesn't feel like it's crawling anymore. My advice is to get off of Fentanyl patches if you think you have Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS).

Comment from: Kathy Starkey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 56 year old female. I found out I have RLS when I went for a sleep apnea test 5 years ago. I have been taking Mirapex ever since, just 1 pill two hours before bedtime and I don't have any problems throughout the night.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms are burning sensation in the soles of my feet. Makes sleep difficult and when I do get off to sleep it can wake me up. Only solution for me is to get into a HOT BATH. I have the water as hot as I can bear it and massage my legs and feet. Some nights I have to do this twice to get any kind of relief the end result being I suffer from chronic tiredness due to lack of sleep. I have varicose veins and an underactive thyroid gland and take antidepressants.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Try eating a couple bananas every day! The potassium can really help with RLS. stay away from the potassium pills they can be bad for you if you take too much. You might even ask your doc to check your potassium levels or your iron level if either one is low it can manifest as restless legs. I eat bananas every day; take a calcium citrate w/ vitamin D and magnesium supplement every day. I rarely get RLS anymore but before could not sit or lay down for more than 30 minutes without getting the creepy crawly feeling in my legs. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Jenny, Female Published: September 13

If you're still growing I'm guessing it could be growing pains. Yes you do get growing pains when all your muscles, tendons are stretching to match the extra growth in your bones. Especially with growth spurts. I always thought growing pains was an old wives tale until the pediatrician gp we went to told us that yes they do get growing pains.

Comment from: miatasweetride, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I can't tell you how many times and years I tried to explain this nightmare to Doctors. Finally I was diagnosed through a sleep test. RLS has been a living hell for me for more than 30 years. It has only gotten worse with age, and, yes in the arms/hands too. I take requip which has been a lifesaver for some time. However, I have had to start taking it earlier each evening, and now feel I must be in need of a new alternative. It's just not working as it once did.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.