Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: Kathy Starkey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 56 year old female. I found out I have RLS when I went for a sleep apnea test 5 years ago. I have been taking Mirapex ever since, just 1 pill two hours before bedtime and I don't have any problems throughout the night.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms are burning sensation in the soles of my feet. Makes sleep difficult and when I do get off to sleep it can wake me up. Only solution for me is to get into a HOT BATH. I have the water as hot as I can bear it and massage my legs and feet. Some nights I have to do this twice to get any kind of relief the end result being I suffer from chronic tiredness due to lack of sleep. I have varicose veins and an underactive thyroid gland and take antidepressants.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Try eating a couple bananas every day! The potassium can really help with RLS. stay away from the potassium pills they can be bad for you if you take too much. You might even ask your doc to check your potassium levels or your iron level if either one is low it can manifest as restless legs. I eat bananas every day; take a calcium citrate w/ vitamin D and magnesium supplement every day. I rarely get RLS anymore but before could not sit or lay down for more than 30 minutes without getting the creepy crawly feeling in my legs. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Jenny, Female Published: September 13

If you're still growing I'm guessing it could be growing pains. Yes you do get growing pains when all your muscles, tendons are stretching to match the extra growth in your bones. Especially with growth spurts. I always thought growing pains was an old wives tale until the pediatrician gp we went to told us that yes they do get growing pains.

Comment from: miatasweetride, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I can't tell you how many times and years I tried to explain this nightmare to Doctors. Finally I was diagnosed through a sleep test. RLS has been a living hell for me for more than 30 years. It has only gotten worse with age, and, yes in the arms/hands too. I take requip which has been a lifesaver for some time. However, I have had to start taking it earlier each evening, and now feel I must be in need of a new alternative. It's just not working as it once did.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed with restless leg syndrome (RLS) and suffered with it most of my adult life. I take three 3 mg of Requip at night only because I teach during the day and it makes me feel weird. I take one Lortab in the a.m. which makes my RLS bearable. RLS is my worst nightmare!

Comment from: richjeanj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Robaxin worked for my restless leg syndrome (RLS) for about 40 years. I guess I wore it out because it no longer works, but try it! I need something else now that does not put me to sleep all day.

Comment from: Connie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am a smoker and didn't realize that smoking can cause restless leg syndrome. My mother and two sisters also have RLS. I was put on Abilify for two years and did not have any symptoms, but two weeks after taking the Abilify, the RLS came back. I would love to get back on it, but my doctor says it's not a good enough reason. But she doesn't have the symptoms either

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: April 19

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) all my life. So does my brother. We have always called it "crazy leg." It starts every night just after I go to bed and feels like I have an electrical current running through my bone marrow. It lasts from 2 to 3 hours and is pretty intense. Nothing works to relieve it. I must endure it. My husband says I have jerked in my sleep for as long as we have been married 29 years. My brother is bipolar and says he only gets it occasionally now. Must be the drugs he is on. But I don't want to take anti-psychotics. Guess I will have it until I die

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.