Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: BGoddess55, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

My symptoms with RLS have been fatigue, itching feeling under the skin, tingly, sometimes slight numbness, achy muscles, my legs sometimes jerk during the evening hours, especially bedtime, which makes it impossible for me to rest. Sometimes I even experience fatigue and achy, tingly pain in one of my arms, due to RLS.

Comment from: c in Montana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for many years now and at 65 it just seemed to get worse. I have tried a lot of over the counter and other things that people have said helps them. I have it in my arms and legs and felt like I was always so tired from this. Even my evening reading in bed came to a halt. Went to the doctor and she put me on 5 mg Loratab an hour before bedtime. I can't believe how this has helped. I have taken this just at night for almost a year now just at night same dosage. If I don't take it before the restless leg syndrome starts I need to take 2 of the 10 mg. I know this is a narcotic but I don't abuse this and if I have to take it the rest of my life I will. The quality of life has improved 100 percent for me!

Comment from: roperdoug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

My legs were itchy, crawly, and jumpy as if someone was tickling me. It's not painful for me, just irritating.

Comment from: irritable, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have had restless leg syndrome for many years. It's a creepy-crawly feeling, starting below the buttocks, and is a constant annoying feeling. I take magnesium powder two or three times a day, which helps a bit. It is worse at night, and affects my sleep. I take several medications, but not for RLS. I am yet to find a doctor who can prescribe something. Most nights I cannot sleep because of the irritability of constant movements in my right leg. I feel like screaming as it is unrelenting.

Comment from: Selah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

Usually when relaxing in the evening, or just before sleeping, one leg will feel like a surge of electricity (energy) is going to make it explode. Sometimes it jerks by itself, sometimes I jerk it to relieve the explosive feeling. In my case, I have found restless leg syndrome (RLS) to be caused by consumption of caffeine and sugars, or by prolonged stress. A quick, safe remedy I use is to rub the leg down with isopropyl alcohol. Within minutes my RLS subsides.

Comment from: Andrea Diniz, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

I need to know if there is relationship between RLS and high levels on ferritin. Thanks Andrea Diniz

Comment from: Shelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I am 57 and have had restless legs syndrome for about 35 years. About 10 years ago, my arms started bothering me. I now have RLS only occasionally, but my arms drive me crazy almost every night. I have pain with my arms as well as the restlessness. I tried Requip, but it made me fall asleep with no warning -- almost like narcolepsy. I wasn't sleepy; I just dropped asleep. One of my daughter's friend's mom had the same thing happen, yet the doctor and pharmacist say they have never heard of that side effect.

Comment from: akhtrs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I have been suffering with RLS for years, but the intensity increased when I was diagnosed with MS. I know what lack of sleep can do, so for anyone who wants relief, I strongly suggest Spirulina. Since taking Spirulina, my RLS has disappeared, and it also helps with sleeping issues and increases energy levels.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.