Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: roperdoug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

My legs were itchy, crawly, and jumpy as if someone was tickling me. It's not painful for me, just irritating.

Comment from: irritable, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have had restless leg syndrome for many years. It's a creepy-crawly feeling, starting below the buttocks, and is a constant annoying feeling. I take magnesium powder two or three times a day, which helps a bit. It is worse at night, and affects my sleep. I take several medications, but not for RLS. I am yet to find a doctor who can prescribe something. Most nights I cannot sleep because of the irritability of constant movements in my right leg. I feel like screaming as it is unrelenting.

Comment from: Selah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

Usually when relaxing in the evening, or just before sleeping, one leg will feel like a surge of electricity (energy) is going to make it explode. Sometimes it jerks by itself, sometimes I jerk it to relieve the explosive feeling. In my case, I have found restless leg syndrome (RLS) to be caused by consumption of caffeine and sugars, or by prolonged stress. A quick, safe remedy I use is to rub the leg down with isopropyl alcohol. Within minutes my RLS subsides.

Comment from: Andrea Diniz, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

I need to know if there is relationship between RLS and high levels on ferritin. Thanks Andrea Diniz

Comment from: Shelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I am 57 and have had restless legs syndrome for about 35 years. About 10 years ago, my arms started bothering me. I now have RLS only occasionally, but my arms drive me crazy almost every night. I have pain with my arms as well as the restlessness. I tried Requip, but it made me fall asleep with no warning -- almost like narcolepsy. I wasn't sleepy; I just dropped asleep. One of my daughter's friend's mom had the same thing happen, yet the doctor and pharmacist say they have never heard of that side effect.

Comment from: akhtrs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I have been suffering with RLS for years, but the intensity increased when I was diagnosed with MS. I know what lack of sleep can do, so for anyone who wants relief, I strongly suggest Spirulina. Since taking Spirulina, my RLS has disappeared, and it also helps with sleeping issues and increases energy levels.

Comment from: Mandy123, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

I have had RLS since my early 20's. I am a 53-year-old female. My feet will get really tingly and itchy. My doctor has put me on gabapentin and Klonopin. They are not helping much anymore. I take Vicodin for my back, and that seems to help some. My legs ache all the time. I cut out caffeine, but it's still bad. I feel as if I am stuck in a loop. I am so tired because my legs bother me, but I can't sleep. My doctor says she can increase the gabapentin, so I will try that. I also saw someone said putting Vicks on your feet will help, so I will try that, too.

Comment from: Rachel, 65-74 Female Published: September 13

I can some relief with one half pill of my prescription of klonopin. Also a red hot shower sometimes works. I am 72 and have struggled with this for years. Also a hot cup of decaf tea and knitting can work. My dad had it - he soaked in a hot bathtub (this was before showers).

Comment from: friskiekatz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I started having RLS in my 50's. I can't stand it. It's three in the morning before I fall asleep. My legs have to move. I have crawling sensations down my legs.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.