Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: Tara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have had restless leg syndrome for at least 25 years. I didn't mention it to my doctor for a long time. I thought, “what do you say?” That your legs have the heeby-geebies or creepy crawlies? I tried Requip which did not help. I have been taking Clonazepam about two hours before bedtime. It does not help the symptoms, at night watching TV or sitting my legs still will drive me crazy. Before I started taking it, I would lay in bed for 2-3 hours and not be able to fall asleep because of my legs. Now, even though I still have the symptoms, even after taking the medication, at least once I actually lay down to go to sleep, I fall asleep. I can hardly go to a movie without jumping up and running out, same with being on an airplane. It is not fun.

Comment from: CCM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have been diagnosed with sever RLS. Not only do I have it my legs but I also suffer with it in my arms on a really bad night. I have been taking Mirapax for a good number of years and there are days when even that doesn't prevent the RLS from keeping me awake all night long. Recently, I have started getting acupuncture and I am finding it helps me greatly. I have been able to lower my dosage of Mirapax and I hope that eventually I will be able to stop taking it all together.

Comment from: 1968lori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I first experienced it years ago, when I was pregnant. I just thought it was achy legs. I recall sitting at the theater and I got up about 10 times to move as my legs felt like they were ready to jump out of the skin! I've had random nights (10/yr) where it bothered me but I never thought much of it. Last month it hit me HARD. Every single night, relentless, extreme aching, twitching, uncontrollable urge to shake and move my legs. NOTHING has helped other than to get up and walk. We just moved into an old home with hard wood floors and when I'm walking around at night, the squeaky wood wakes everyone up. I've tried hot baths, Vicks vapor rub, electric blankets, iron, Vitamin-B, bar of soap tied to my leg, everything. I finally went to my Dr in tears and said if I don't sleep soon, I'm going to knock myself out with an iron skillet. I was desperate. He gave me Lunesta to help get me to sleep. Worthless. I tried Requip. MIRACLE! From the first night, I fell asleep, stayed asleep and am finally getting relief. My only concern is that I keep reading about patients who have augmentation of symptoms after a while (50-80%) and have to steadily increase the dosage. I do NOT want this to happen to me. So far I'm doing fine on only .75 mg of Requip. She also gave me Alprazolam if needed. I haven't tried that but I'm thinking maybe I should switch to that instead? Also, the Requip gives me horrid headaches.

Comment from: Suzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I experience the sensation in my ankle and at the back of my leg right at the bottom down towards my foot. So I don't know if that is classified as RLS. The two worst places are on the sides of my feet on the arch, (not the outside part) and the back of my calf right at the bottom, and have to keep flexing my feet up. A bath can ease it a bit, and I find it's worse in the hot weather. It's like a shooting energy going down towards arch of my foot. It feels as if the energy that can't flow through like its blocked. Feels almost hot, not a pain.

Comment from: BGoddess55, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

My symptoms with RLS have been fatigue, itching feeling under the skin, tingly, sometimes slight numbness, achy muscles, my legs sometimes jerk during the evening hours, especially bedtime, which makes it impossible for me to rest. Sometimes I even experience fatigue and achy, tingly pain in one of my arms, due to RLS.

Comment from: c in Montana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for many years now and at 65 it just seemed to get worse. I have tried a lot of over the counter and other things that people have said helps them. I have it in my arms and legs and felt like I was always so tired from this. Even my evening reading in bed came to a halt. Went to the doctor and she put me on 5 mg Loratab an hour before bedtime. I can't believe how this has helped. I have taken this just at night for almost a year now just at night same dosage. If I don't take it before the restless leg syndrome starts I need to take 2 of the 10 mg. I know this is a narcotic but I don't abuse this and if I have to take it the rest of my life I will. The quality of life has improved 100 percent for me!

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.