Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: dikins, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 66, start having restless leg about 3 months ago. When I told my doctor about it he put me on pramipexole. It worked for a little while, but then I started having horrible dreams. This is one of the side effects. Now it just takes too long to work if at all. I think I will try something else to help my condition, but not by prescription.

Comment from: andrea, 45-54 Female Published: August 10

My restless legs started about 25 years ago at a time when I was running a baking business. At that stage it involved my whole body "jumping" involuntarily and when standing my legs would "wobble" at the knees, I was then unable to walk for a period of about 10 months. I gradually improved and my walking returned and jumping legs happened only at nighttime just before falling asleep or after long time sitting. By chance I gave up gluten a year ago, as I had cramps and bloating, and I suddenly realized after a few weeks that I no longer had restless legs, if I do break out and eat bread/gluten I get jumpy legs. There has to be a connection!

Comment from: katl72, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 40 years old and I don't remember if I had issues as a child. I do know for certain that the more stress I'm under, the more I have restless leg syndrome (RLS). I take too much medicine (over-the-counter, not prescribed) more than I should to fall asleep and sometimes that's not strong enough. I'm hoping when my stress level gets lower I will be able to sleep normally again. It's almost to the point that I don't look forward to sleeping until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.

Comment from: Chi-town Girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have been suffering from severe RLS for many years now, my arms and legs are affected frequently. I have finally found two things that work for me quickly so I can go to sleep, though I don't have a solution for during the day sitting somewhere. The first thing I found was laying on my stomach with pillows propped under one side and my arms pinned under me with my feet off the end of the bed so I can rub them together works, but don't know why. Then I found Hyland's Restful Legs at Walgreens! This works almost instantly for me, I am so happy to have found it. I keep it in my bedside table and use it often!

Comment from: dljodin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had restless leg syndrome since I was a little girl. Everyone in my family has it to some degree, but I have it the worst. I suffer with it almost all day, everyday. I remember getting in trouble in fourth grade because I couldn't keep my legs still. I have been taking requip for years and it works great, just not for 24 hours like I need.I do have to keeps anti-nausea medicine on hand though for the times that the requips make me sick. When I can't take the requip for whatever reason, I do take vicodin which helps, but then I have to take benedryl because the vicodin makes me itch so bad. I am so sick having to take medicine, but glad that it's there. Anything is better then the misery of Severe Restless Leg Syndrome.

Comment from: Sharman, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I cant even remember when it started. Although its worse at night, it affects my legs all day. I do take a lot of caffeine which of course makes it worse. Few things that O have found helpful are: 1. I take a long sock and use to tie my ankle or the sole of my feet relatively tight. 2. When someone touches any part of my feet, it gets a lot better. Recently. I have found another remedy. When I strongly massage the outside of my thigh, it gets a lot better. I basically run the palm of my hand very strongly down my upper thigh so that my sole feels the rub. Unfortunately, the effects of all the above are very transient.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have had rls since I was 4 yrs old. I can't stand anyone putting their hand on my legs, can't stand hose or sox, long pants or skirts. I now have it in my arms too, for the last 25 to 30 years. It feels like somethings crawling inside your skin, anything touching your legs/arms makes it worse ,clothes, even air from a fan . Your nerves are on the outside of your skin, you feel everything 10.000 times more than other people do. You don't hurt but you cannot stand being in your own skin. You cannot not sit, lie down, relax as soon as you do it starts the tingling and crawling and just gets worse and worse.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.