Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: dljodin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had restless leg syndrome since I was a little girl. Everyone in my family has it to some degree, but I have it the worst. I suffer with it almost all day, everyday. I remember getting in trouble in fourth grade because I couldn't keep my legs still. I have been taking requip for years and it works great, just not for 24 hours like I need.I do have to keeps anti-nausea medicine on hand though for the times that the requips make me sick. When I can't take the requip for whatever reason, I do take vicodin which helps, but then I have to take benedryl because the vicodin makes me itch so bad. I am so sick having to take medicine, but glad that it's there. Anything is better then the misery of Severe Restless Leg Syndrome.

Comment from: Sharman, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I cant even remember when it started. Although its worse at night, it affects my legs all day. I do take a lot of caffeine which of course makes it worse. Few things that O have found helpful are: 1. I take a long sock and use to tie my ankle or the sole of my feet relatively tight. 2. When someone touches any part of my feet, it gets a lot better. Recently. I have found another remedy. When I strongly massage the outside of my thigh, it gets a lot better. I basically run the palm of my hand very strongly down my upper thigh so that my sole feels the rub. Unfortunately, the effects of all the above are very transient.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have had rls since I was 4 yrs old. I can't stand anyone putting their hand on my legs, can't stand hose or sox, long pants or skirts. I now have it in my arms too, for the last 25 to 30 years. It feels like somethings crawling inside your skin, anything touching your legs/arms makes it worse ,clothes, even air from a fan . Your nerves are on the outside of your skin, you feel everything 10.000 times more than other people do. You don't hurt but you cannot stand being in your own skin. You cannot not sit, lie down, relax as soon as you do it starts the tingling and crawling and just gets worse and worse.

Comment from: In agony!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

A restless, painful, and unsettling in my legs. Hard to describe. It feels like it's in the bone itself but yet the muscle?

Comment from: in agony!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My RLS started when I was about 6 years old. The doctors thought that I was crazy for a long time. Then just about 4 years ago my doctor put me on Levocarb! My miracle pill! However, just recently its been acting up again quite badly. They would like to decrease my dosage but I can't see it.

Comment from: AmberLynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I am 27 and have had RLS for about 10 years. In the past two years it started getting really bad. I would use hot water on my legs for a few mins. before bed. That helped a lot. But then it'd wake me up every night and occur during the middle of the day. So I started taking Pramipexole (10mg) at bedtime. I think I started taking it about two years ago. It works perfectly! The only thing is that about a year and a half ago I started getting bad nightmares. I am not sure if it's the meds or psyhological. My parents have been going through a divorce for the past year and a half and around my grandmother's death is when nightmares started. Is there a different med to try? Help please!

Comment from: Tara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have had restless leg syndrome for at least 25 years. I didn't mention it to my doctor for a long time. I thought, “what do you say?” That your legs have the heeby-geebies or creepy crawlies? I tried Requip which did not help. I have been taking Clonazepam about two hours before bedtime. It does not help the symptoms, at night watching TV or sitting my legs still will drive me crazy. Before I started taking it, I would lay in bed for 2-3 hours and not be able to fall asleep because of my legs. Now, even though I still have the symptoms, even after taking the medication, at least once I actually lay down to go to sleep, I fall asleep. I can hardly go to a movie without jumping up and running out, same with being on an airplane. It is not fun.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.