Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I can't stand another night of not sleeping. I have a very busy life looking after a lady with ms and a handicapped man who lives with me. I have 3 adult children as well. Somebody please tell me what I should take. I stopped dairy for a year and it did help but I no longer want to go without milk products unless I have to. My doctor prescribed Quinine and it made me pass out. I will do almost anything at this time.

Comment from: dikins, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 66, start having restless leg about 3 months ago. When I told my doctor about it he put me on pramipexole. It worked for a little while, but then I started having horrible dreams. This is one of the side effects. Now it just takes too long to work if at all. I think I will try something else to help my condition, but not by prescription.

Comment from: andrea, 45-54 Female Published: August 10

My restless legs started about 25 years ago at a time when I was running a baking business. At that stage it involved my whole body "jumping" involuntarily and when standing my legs would "wobble" at the knees, I was then unable to walk for a period of about 10 months. I gradually improved and my walking returned and jumping legs happened only at nighttime just before falling asleep or after long time sitting. By chance I gave up gluten a year ago, as I had cramps and bloating, and I suddenly realized after a few weeks that I no longer had restless legs, if I do break out and eat bread/gluten I get jumpy legs. There has to be a connection!

Comment from: Sharman, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I cant even remember when it started. Although its worse at night, it affects my legs all day. I do take a lot of caffeine which of course makes it worse. Few things that O have found helpful are: 1. I take a long sock and use to tie my ankle or the sole of my feet relatively tight. 2. When someone touches any part of my feet, it gets a lot better. Recently. I have found another remedy. When I strongly massage the outside of my thigh, it gets a lot better. I basically run the palm of my hand very strongly down my upper thigh so that my sole feels the rub. Unfortunately, the effects of all the above are very transient.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have had rls since I was 4 yrs old. I can't stand anyone putting their hand on my legs, can't stand hose or sox, long pants or skirts. I now have it in my arms too, for the last 25 to 30 years. It feels like somethings crawling inside your skin, anything touching your legs/arms makes it worse ,clothes, even air from a fan . Your nerves are on the outside of your skin, you feel everything 10.000 times more than other people do. You don't hurt but you cannot stand being in your own skin. You cannot not sit, lie down, relax as soon as you do it starts the tingling and crawling and just gets worse and worse.

Comment from: In agony!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

A restless, painful, and unsettling in my legs. Hard to describe. It feels like it's in the bone itself but yet the muscle?

Comment from: in agony!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My RLS started when I was about 6 years old. The doctors thought that I was crazy for a long time. Then just about 4 years ago my doctor put me on Levocarb! My miracle pill! However, just recently its been acting up again quite badly. They would like to decrease my dosage but I can't see it.

Comment from: AmberLynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I am 27 and have had RLS for about 10 years. In the past two years it started getting really bad. I would use hot water on my legs for a few mins. before bed. That helped a lot. But then it'd wake me up every night and occur during the middle of the day. So I started taking Pramipexole (10mg) at bedtime. I think I started taking it about two years ago. It works perfectly! The only thing is that about a year and a half ago I started getting bad nightmares. I am not sure if it's the meds or psyhological. My parents have been going through a divorce for the past year and a half and around my grandmother's death is when nightmares started. Is there a different med to try? Help please!

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.