Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: Reggie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I only noticed restless leg syndrome (RLS) when going to bed at night. A strong feeling to keep my legs moving and the only thing I found to help was to tighten my leg muscles to the maximum as long as I could. When I stopped it seemed to go away and be relaxing. At most I might have to repeat the process 2 or 3 times before I would fall asleep. Recently the feeling traveled to my arms. That is when I got hold of my doctor to get something for it. Walking 2 miles after dinner would keep it from happening. After a few years of that I got lazy and they came back.

Comment from: ALICE, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had this feeling at night for about four years, RLS (restless leg syndrome) affects my stomach more than my legs. I feel it is more to do with my nervous system, I have not had a full night's sleep for months, I just hope it goes away one night. I am 75 years old, fairly fit and do loads of walking (with my dog), so don"t know what to do.

Comment from: bipolarbunny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

This article is the gentlest description of restless leg syndrome (RLS) I've ever read. It's like there are maggots crawling in your muscles and vultures are ripping the meat from your bones and nobody has told them that you're not dead yet. It's not pain. Pain is like love. You know it when you feel it. This isn't it. It is, however, every bit excruciating. In fact, it may actually be worse. But it's hard to explain, the way you can't explain pain or love. Trust me, if it happens, you'll say, 'Oh, this is RLS.'

Comment from: a pinson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I went for a sleep study because I got up each morn feeling tired. I had problems staying awake in daytime. My test showed I didn't have a sleep problem, but my legs moved about 50 times during the night. So I was dealing with RLS. The doctor prescribed Mirpex, but it costs so much I had to take the generic brand for Requip. It does not work as well and I have really bad dreams. So I have decided to stop taking it. I am taking klonopin which is helping me rest.

Comment from: stevo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had rls for 30 years, I could get away with cooling my legs with cold water about half hour after going to bed but now it is getting worse, some things to try are cold water on legs, 5 minutes on exercise bike, hot shower. It seems that when I go to sleep and just start falling into a deeper sleep my brain release adrenalin and until I burn off this adrenalin I cannot go to sleep. Wearing socks and flannel sheets helps also.

Comment from: Bones, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for so long I can't remember when it actually started. The last few years it has become increasingly worse, and it has also started earlier in the day now. I have tried Repreve (ropinerole) from the doctor, but it is so expensive ($50 for a month's supply). I decided to try out other options and so far the best that works for me is keeping slippers on so my feet so they don't get cold, and about an hour before bedtime I take two magnesium pills. I then rub my legs with deep heat, and put flight socks on. I look charming, but it actually enables me to sleep. During the winter I also put an electric blanket on to keep my legs warm. Some nights I still get up a couple of times, but this seems to work for me at the moment.

Comment from: Barbisurf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have had restless leg syndrome my entire life. When I was little I would just lie in bed and tell myself stories to try and calm the crawling feelings in my legs and would always wake up with the covers looking like they had been in a blender and me sleeping on the floor, halfway off the bed, or with my head at the other end of the bed. I had a sleep study when I was 35 to see what was preventing me from getting a good night rest and it was then I was diagnosed with restless leg, plmd, severe bruxism, and I never reached past REM stage 2 which explained why I was sick all the time and sleepy during the day. I have other medical problems as well but have tried reequip which made me vomit, Neurontin which made me dizzy and faint, and Mirapex which caused me to be even dizzier and vomit. I am on the Fentanyl patch and Norco for pain to help my other conditions, but something that has worked for me is to lay on my stomach with my feet hanging off the bed to sleep. I also take 20 mg Valium and 10 mg Ambien with 10 mg Flexeril. I sleep best after midnight until noon and still wake up 2-5 times a night. I am now 43 years old.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.