Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: Kayla Igleheart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm 21 years old, I've had RLS for about 8 years now. My mother also has it. I didn't ask her about it till I was about 15. I get the intense urge to move my leg and if I resist my leg muscles spaz and jerk and it can be very painful. I also get an intense painful itch, mostly on my thighs. When I was younger I would just do 1 minute of squats to work out my muscles then jump into bed and try to clear my mind so I could fall asleep ASAP. Now that I've been pregnant, and am currently pregnant, it has gotten so much worse and that rarely works anymore. During my first pregnancy, I took a lot of hot showers before bed, my RLS gets much worse in the winter, when it's cold, so warm water helped. I had no idea there was medicine available. I will be talking to my new doctor about treatment. The other simply told me to walk more. I walked everywhere, all day, it didn't help. Then he told me RLS didn't exist. I almost cried I was so upset, I'm glad I looked it up, kind of inspiring to read other peoples stories of dealing with this insanity.

Comment from: Bporche, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had RLS for over 25 years now and have been through Requip, Sinement and another that I do not recall (I think it was Savella) and none worked for any length of time. The best cocktail so far has been gabapentin and klonipin. I experience severe pain when at rest and most of the time movement is the only solution. I'm not ready for the opioids yet. I can't wait for Horizant to see how well it works. Peaceful and non painful sleep seems like a dream sometimes.

Comment from: shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I can't stand another night of not sleeping. I have a very busy life looking after a lady with ms and a handicapped man who lives with me. I have 3 adult children as well. Somebody please tell me what I should take. I stopped dairy for a year and it did help but I no longer want to go without milk products unless I have to. My doctor prescribed Quinine and it made me pass out. I will do almost anything at this time.

Comment from: dikins, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 66, start having restless leg about 3 months ago. When I told my doctor about it he put me on pramipexole. It worked for a little while, but then I started having horrible dreams. This is one of the side effects. Now it just takes too long to work if at all. I think I will try something else to help my condition, but not by prescription.

Comment from: andrea, 45-54 Female Published: August 10

My restless legs started about 25 years ago at a time when I was running a baking business. At that stage it involved my whole body "jumping" involuntarily and when standing my legs would "wobble" at the knees, I was then unable to walk for a period of about 10 months. I gradually improved and my walking returned and jumping legs happened only at nighttime just before falling asleep or after long time sitting. By chance I gave up gluten a year ago, as I had cramps and bloating, and I suddenly realized after a few weeks that I no longer had restless legs, if I do break out and eat bread/gluten I get jumpy legs. There has to be a connection!

Comment from: katl72, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 40 years old and I don't remember if I had issues as a child. I do know for certain that the more stress I'm under, the more I have restless leg syndrome (RLS). I take too much medicine (over-the-counter, not prescribed) more than I should to fall asleep and sometimes that's not strong enough. I'm hoping when my stress level gets lower I will be able to sleep normally again. It's almost to the point that I don't look forward to sleeping until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.

Comment from: Chi-town Girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have been suffering from severe RLS for many years now, my arms and legs are affected frequently. I have finally found two things that work for me quickly so I can go to sleep, though I don't have a solution for during the day sitting somewhere. The first thing I found was laying on my stomach with pillows propped under one side and my arms pinned under me with my feet off the end of the bed so I can rub them together works, but don't know why. Then I found Hyland's Restful Legs at Walgreens! This works almost instantly for me, I am so happy to have found it. I keep it in my bedside table and use it often!

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.