Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: Clancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) reminds me of Christmas lights that go around on the cord - up one side then down. I also have twitches in my toes. The little toe and the one next to it just keep moving and twitching which is more annoying than the leg thing. I have been prescribed pramipexole to take before going to bed and so far it has helped.

Comment from: fredie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

It was great reading the stories of others with cauda equina syndrome (CES). The crazy thing about it is they the articles say this is a rare thing, yet many have it. In February of 2015 I came away from an accident that I should have not. Had I been 3 inches taller I wouldn't have. I got an L1 bust out of the deal. Two days after surgery I could walk but had no bowel or bladder control. It has been 11 months and they have yet to return. The loss of sexual feelings is a hard pill to swallow. I ended a 30 year marriage because of lack of sex. This CES far worse than that. It is sometimes a blessing to cheat death and an injury like this gives one the hard lessons which are sometimes needed. With CES one doesn't know their bowels have released until everyone else knows. Thank you for the great stories because as rare as they say this is, it sure seems like there is a lot of us in the same boat.

Comment from: Don, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I used to get bad cramping in my legs growing up. Over the past several years I stopped getting cramping but started having uncontrollable leg jerks, rarely through the day but mainly in the evening when I am trying to relax. Now I am only getting the jerking in the right leg and the left is fine. I am also waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon about my right knee and ankle and wonder if there is a link between my bad knee and the jerking in the right leg. I've never been diagnosed with restless leg syndrome (RLS) but now reading RLS could be related to nerve damage, it is a worry that there is a correlation between my knee and the leg jerking. I find nights I've been to the gym I don't get the jerking.

Comment from: Reggie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I only noticed restless leg syndrome (RLS) when going to bed at night. A strong feeling to keep my legs moving and the only thing I found to help was to tighten my leg muscles to the maximum as long as I could. When I stopped it seemed to go away and be relaxing. At most I might have to repeat the process 2 or 3 times before I would fall asleep. Recently the feeling traveled to my arms. That is when I got hold of my doctor to get something for it. Walking 2 miles after dinner would keep it from happening. After a few years of that I got lazy and they came back.

Comment from: ALICE, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had this feeling at night for about four years, RLS (restless leg syndrome) affects my stomach more than my legs. I feel it is more to do with my nervous system, I have not had a full night's sleep for months, I just hope it goes away one night. I am 75 years old, fairly fit and do loads of walking (with my dog), so don"t know what to do.

Comment from: bipolarbunny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

This article is the gentlest description of restless leg syndrome (RLS) I've ever read. It's like there are maggots crawling in your muscles and vultures are ripping the meat from your bones and nobody has told them that you're not dead yet. It's not pain. Pain is like love. You know it when you feel it. This isn't it. It is, however, every bit excruciating. In fact, it may actually be worse. But it's hard to explain, the way you can't explain pain or love. Trust me, if it happens, you'll say, 'Oh, this is RLS.'

Comment from: a pinson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I went for a sleep study because I got up each morn feeling tired. I had problems staying awake in daytime. My test showed I didn't have a sleep problem, but my legs moved about 50 times during the night. So I was dealing with RLS. The doctor prescribed Mirpex, but it costs so much I had to take the generic brand for Requip. It does not work as well and I have really bad dreams. So I have decided to stop taking it. I am taking klonopin which is helping me rest.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.