Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Comment from: dljodin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had restless leg syndrome since I was a little girl. Everyone in my family has it to some degree, but I have it the worst. I suffer with it almost all day, everyday. I remember getting in trouble in fourth grade because I couldn't keep my legs still. I have been taking requip for years and it works great, just not for 24 hours like I need.I do have to keeps anti-nausea medicine on hand though for the times that the requips make me sick. When I can't take the requip for whatever reason, I do take vicodin which helps, but then I have to take benedryl because the vicodin makes me itch so bad. I am so sick having to take medicine, but glad that it's there. Anything is better then the misery of Severe Restless Leg Syndrome.

Comment from: Bones, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for so long I can't remember when it actually started. The last few years it has become increasingly worse, and it has also started earlier in the day now. I have tried Repreve (ropinerole) from the doctor, but it is so expensive ($50 for a month's supply). I decided to try out other options and so far the best that works for me is keeping slippers on so my feet so they don't get cold, and about an hour before bedtime I take two magnesium pills. I then rub my legs with deep heat, and put flight socks on. I look charming, but it actually enables me to sleep. During the winter I also put an electric blanket on to keep my legs warm. Some nights I still get up a couple of times, but this seems to work for me at the moment.

Comment from: Barbisurf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have had restless leg syndrome my entire life. When I was little I would just lie in bed and tell myself stories to try and calm the crawling feelings in my legs and would always wake up with the covers looking like they had been in a blender and me sleeping on the floor, halfway off the bed, or with my head at the other end of the bed. I had a sleep study when I was 35 to see what was preventing me from getting a good night rest and it was then I was diagnosed with restless leg, plmd, severe bruxism, and I never reached past REM stage 2 which explained why I was sick all the time and sleepy during the day. I have other medical problems as well but have tried reequip which made me vomit, Neurontin which made me dizzy and faint, and Mirapex which caused me to be even dizzier and vomit. I am on the Fentanyl patch and Norco for pain to help my other conditions, but something that has worked for me is to lay on my stomach with my feet hanging off the bed to sleep. I also take 20 mg Valium and 10 mg Ambien with 10 mg Flexeril. I sleep best after midnight until noon and still wake up 2-5 times a night. I am now 43 years old.

Comment from: Kayla Igleheart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm 21 years old, I've had RLS for about 8 years now. My mother also has it. I didn't ask her about it till I was about 15. I get the intense urge to move my leg and if I resist my leg muscles spaz and jerk and it can be very painful. I also get an intense painful itch, mostly on my thighs. When I was younger I would just do 1 minute of squats to work out my muscles then jump into bed and try to clear my mind so I could fall asleep ASAP. Now that I've been pregnant, and am currently pregnant, it has gotten so much worse and that rarely works anymore. During my first pregnancy, I took a lot of hot showers before bed, my RLS gets much worse in the winter, when it's cold, so warm water helped. I had no idea there was medicine available. I will be talking to my new doctor about treatment. The other simply told me to walk more. I walked everywhere, all day, it didn't help. Then he told me RLS didn't exist. I almost cried I was so upset, I'm glad I looked it up, kind of inspiring to read other peoples stories of dealing with this insanity.

Comment from: TanyaR, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am 38 years old. My symptoms started when I was a child. I was diagnosed with "growing pains," "it was all in my head" and "stretched ligaments" and "high arches". I've been microwaved with a circle like thing, had acupuncture, tried Vicidon (kept me up all night), tried natural pills and requip. The only relief I found was soaking in a HOT bathtub, no cold water. Someone please give me some advice, because you all know how miserable it is.

Comment from: Bporche, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had RLS for over 25 years now and have been through Requip, Sinement and another that I do not recall (I think it was Savella) and none worked for any length of time. The best cocktail so far has been gabapentin and klonipin. I experience severe pain when at rest and most of the time movement is the only solution. I'm not ready for the opioids yet. I can't wait for Horizant to see how well it works. Peaceful and non painful sleep seems like a dream sometimes.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.