Patient Comments: Relapsing Polychondritis - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your relapsing polychondritis?

Comment from: Ireland, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am a healthcare professional and took the hepatitis vaccine when it was a live virus. Five of us who took the vaccine became severely ill two days after getting the vaccine. We ran high fevers, had severe joint pain, and extreme nausea. Six months later I had a 30-pound weight loss, perirectal abscess and hepatitis. I was in the hospital for seven days with a bilirubin level of 32. I continued to be ill for several months. Then I experienced inflamed ears, joint pain, extreme weakness, and fatigue. I went to doctor after doctor for years and thought I was crazy. I researched and after 15 years found a doctor who was a genius and told me my diagnosis was correct. After years of tests, MRIs, and spinal taps, I was sent to a rheumatologist. I was his first patient with this dreadful disease. I was put on Plaquenil and prednisone. I am currently on purified fish oil, turmeric, and tart cherry. I continue to take Plaqueni and prednisone. It has been a long and difficult road. I have remained optimistic, but my life is far from normal. I have retired from my nursing career which I loved. I have had two hip replacements and thoracic laminectomy. I still remain negative for all types of hepatitis. I just wished someone would have listened from the beginning about the vaccine. You know your body and it seems that if you are knowledgeable in your area you can be shoved under a rug. I have relapses and it affects my husband, children and my grandchildren. I pray for those who have this awful disease. I continue to push forward, keep a healthy weight, and maintain exercise. I wish there was a cure for the fatigue; it's devastating when you want to live life so badly. Please listen to your patients.

Relapsing Polychondritis - Medications and Treatment Question: What medications have been effective in treating your relapsing polychondritis?