Patient Comments: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you tried for your RSD?

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was diagnosed with RSDS in 2003, two years after a crush injury to my foot, and three subsequent surgeries. Once diagnosed, I was referred to a pain clinic. The folks there know exactly what RSDS is, and have a treatment plan for it. Originally, I was treated with pain medications, but began a series of nerve blocks into the sympathetic nerve (injections occurred at the site of a nerve "bundle" in my lower back). Then, the last two blocks I had done were performed using "radio frequency" to oblate those nerves. The first block lasted for nine months, and the second one was in 2005. I haven't had one since, and do not take any daily medications other than vitamins. I have been able to wear a variety of shoes, run on my treadmill, and do most anything. I recently had a fourth surgery and am concerned that my RSDS will need to be managed again, but I feel good about my options for care.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have had RSD since a shoulder replacement surgery back in 2006, which had to be redone five months later. I was diagnosed in 2012 with RSD. I underwent the Ketamine infusions, which helped to a small degree, but in 2013 heard of a drug called low-dose naltrexone (LDN) and started it. I have been amazed at the help it has given me. I would strongly suggest to anyone that has this disease to research, talk with your doctor, and give this drug a try. It's given me my life back.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome.
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome?