Patient Comments: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome?

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I have had reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSDS) since1985, not so bad at first. I have had every kind of treatment that is available. I got a severe infection from the morphine pump. Now I take morphine orally and the hospital will not give me the amount of pain medicines that I need. They say that it will pass. My whole left side of my body is on fire at night and it throbs. It all started in my left hand. I am trying hypnotherapy again.

Comment from: DawnM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I sincerely empathize with all of you who suffer from this debilitating disease. I have been diagnosed with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD) by three specialists but my new doctors don't believe it. He said I don't have the swelling or shiny skin. A pain specialist that my primary referred me to says she'd be shocked if I didn't have it. I have severe pain after 6 surgeries, three of them fusions. Nobody has ever said I need a sympathetic block, just nerve blocks and prednisone injections. It is the most disabling pain ever. I would give birth naturally once a day over this pain, at least you get a break in between contractions. Wishes to all fellow sufferers of chronic pain. I would not wish it on anyone, maybe for a few minutes just to give them some understanding of this invisible disease.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I was diagnosed with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome in 2004 after I sliced my tendons in my hand. Sometimes wish I could chop it off, it would be easier. My fingers are locked and I cannot open my hand. I get swelling, pain, pins and needles, hot cold pins and needles, winter being the worst time. Now after 11 years they think they can open my hand with physiotherapy, when they not sure it will work, and I have more pain.

Comment from: Survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I have had reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD) for well over 12 years. Mine started with a total knee replacement. I felt like I was going crazy, I couldn't stand anything to touch my knee and the pain felt like my knee was constantly being broke (I try to describe the pain as when you break a bone, that's the pain I constantly have). I was finally referred to a wonder pain specialist. He assured me I wasn't crazy and he would help me. After several months of medication, blocks and everything else, he implanted a pain pump. The relief was like day and night. It doesn't take away all the pain, but I can live again. I take pain medication for the bleed-over pain but I can live with it. I didn't go into all the months before I went to the pain clinic because they were a blur. I was so overmedicated I really can't remember them other than they were horrible. I also had to quit work and go on disability because of this disease. I tell everyone that asks, if I hadn't gone to the pain clinic when I did I probably wouldn't be here today. All I can say is don't give up. There are doctors who do care and I know how frustrating it is to try and get doctors to listen to you. You just have to keep trying until you find the right doctor.

Comment from: Ozzy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome) diagnosed for many years now; I did suffer in the early years with what was thought to be RSI (repetitive strain injury. After many years of being passed from pillar to post and visiting loads of specialists I was eventually told that RSD was the most likely cause of my severe pains that affect both upper limbs and occasionally my lower legs. I have varying degrees of burning, stinging, pulsing and what I call deep nerve type pains in the upper limbs. I have blotchy red/purple hands at times. Cold weather, touching cold items or just walking down the freezer isle of a supermarket causes greatly enhanced upper limb pains. At times I do not like being touched due to the tenderness of the limbs. I have tried many, many types of painkillers and currently use Fentanyl; it does help but breakthrough pain is a real problem. I no longer work as the daily episodes of pain and the action of just using my limbs exacerbates issues; at times pain is very bad but after years of fighting I have grown to just accept my condition and now outwardly show little evidence of what is actually going on.

Comment from: Bek6336, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD) about 4 years ago. I worked in pain for 4 years at my job I loved for 24 years. I lost my job, friends, and my partner of 7 years. Not a lot of people know of this disease and they really don't believe that someone can be in pain all the time. I stopped telling people because they don't understand, even doctors are not educated in this disease which is discouraging. People and doctors need to know more about RSD, I have had doctors who don't believe; try working a physical job while on pain killers. Now I am trying for disability which I hope goes well.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome.
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you tried for your RSD?