Patient Comments: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome?

Comment from: buck360, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I suffered a very severe crushing injury in an industrial accident in 1982. I moved to Tennessee so that I could be treated at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. While receiving treatment, I was diagnosed with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) Syndrome. I've had all the treatments except surgery, which I was advised not to have due to the high risk. I was on pain maintenance for about 26 years. My doctor died and I haven't been able to find another doctor who is willing to treat me because of new laws concerning narcotics. I was on 10 mg of Percocet, 10 mg of Valium and 350 mg of SOMA—each 4 pills daily. This maintenance helped a lot. I still suffer from hypersensitivity in both feet and legs, along with sweating, even though my feet are as cold as ice. I live with a pain level of about 7 on a good day; off the scale on other days. As far as I have been able to tell, there is no cure. It has cost me a marriage and the ability to work. It is no fun. To say it is life changing is an understatement. Good luck to anyone who unfortunately has RSD.

Comment from: Jeff, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I hav had rsd for about 30yrs.I have had it go from pain to severe pain and now loss of movementin my toes and slowing effecting my foot.I have been to many doctors and still get checked up though nothing is getting better.I have had just about every test done known to man.If you have it my advice is to see a pain specialist.The electo tests made mine worse and others better.I went through the beta blockers along the sping and they worked for some time but no longer work for me.I have pain everyday and take pills for the pain and swelling that make it some what easier to deal with.mine I will have for life and have learned to deal with it.Remember to seek helpfrom your doctor or a pain clinic and yours could possibly be treated.Dont put it off.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome.
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you tried for your RSD?