Patient Comments: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome?

Comment from: Never Give Up, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I found regular visits to my chiropractor work better than any meds or conventional treatment. My RSD doesn't slow me down any more.

Comment from: YogiLyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I have a question for everyone. My father was diagnosed when I was little with RSD. He has found no relief. I also have other family members on his side that have been diagnosed with this. My problem is as follows.... In 2001 I had surgery to remove disc at L5, then in Dec 2011 I had neck surgery at C5-6 to shave bulging disc around nerve. I reinjured my neck about 3 months after surgery. Actually it was more pulled and strained muscles (so they say). Now almost a year later I have extreme pain in my lowerback, right hip and leg. It feels cold, tingly and hurts like crazy. My neck and left arm and fingers also tingle and hurt. I have suggested to doctors about RSD due to family history, but they continually tell me "oh that's not what this is". Can anyone please suggest what I need to do next?

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 08

I have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and had surgery on both hands. I also was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 7 yrs ago which is am in constant pain. Now yr 2013 my Dr informed me that I have RSD. Life is hard enough without all pain I already had and now this. If I wasnt already depressed enough to advise me of RSD. I tried everything toget rid of this pain. My next step is a pain clinic. I hope there is something that can be done & soon.

Comment from: chocoluvr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I fell down stairs and hit my ulna nerve in my left arm, I was taken to the ER where I only received xrays and a splint w/ no instructions on how to take care of my arm. Several weeks later I went to urgent care as I was worsening, where I was refered to ortho Dr again with no directions. The orto Dr spent 5 min with me gave me med and told me not to work and rest my arm. It took a 3rd visit and the PA sent me for a nerve test that was only tested in 3 places not 10 or more as suggested. The ortho Dr has upped my pain meds tells me she doesn't need to see my hand just need to go for only pain management. I have no insurance and have now gradually lost the use of my hand within 2 months of injury, and don't know what to do as the pain feels like the bones will break when my fingers contract

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had RSD since 2001 after carpal tunnel surgery. It took a year for doctors to diagnose me. It's hard to find a doctor who will treat or even know what RSD is. Although the past few years have been better for me since I've been on Lyrica, it does help. But it takes time. I've noticed there is a fine line with RSD and pain; doing too much causes lots of pain, and doing too little causes pain. I've noticed if I take my mind off my pain by doing something, it also helps. Researching about RSD has also helped. I recommend joining an online support group and finding the right doctor – one who listens.

Comment from: Mesh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had surgery in December to remove a Haglund's deformity and repair my Achilles tendon. My foot has not been right since: it swells, turns red to purple, burns and is hot to the touch. Today, my doctor told me that although rare, he believes I am suffering with reflex sympathetic dystrophy. I go to a specialist from next week. Hopefully, they will be able to help relieve some of this pain.

Comment from: lbamburg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I was diagnosed with RSD about a month after my left leg was amputated below the knee in September 2010. I was in pain before the amputation, as my left foot was dying from a lack of circulation due to the sepsis I had managed to survive before. I have been receiving pain management as treatment ever since the diagnoses, but now it seems there is something happening that is making it very difficult to get the medication I need. My doctor wrote the prescription, but I can't find a pharmacy with any oxycodone in stock. This is a first for me.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome.
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you tried for your RSD?