Patient Comments: Reactive Arthritis - Personal Experience

How old were you when you were diagnosed with reactive arthritis? Please share your experience.

Comment from: MeToRA, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

At age 64, and within a couple of days of a colonoscopy, I contracted a severe gastrointestinal infection. For the next six months I had frequent diarrhea episodes. I was treated with severe medicinal applications, and lost approximately 50lbs. Shortly thereafter I developed reactive arthritis that has moved from feet issues, knee issues, hand issues, and now after 5 years contending with these issues, I still don't have much relief with greatly reduced mobility. I have a little relief when in bed, but standing and walking causes severe pain.

Comment from: Elizheva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have reactive arthritis after diverticulitis with infection of E-coli and I had to have a drain in my side with two months of antibiotics daily. I began experiencing, after about three weeks or so, pain in my hips that radiated down to my knees and ankles, then my lower back. I have tried numerous drugs, right now patches for pain, anti-inflammatory diclofenac, and methotrexate injections. I have found no pain relief and it is hard to sleep or walk much with so much pain. I am 63 years old. This is terrible pain and I'm unable to manage much with the radiation of the pain up and down my spine and hips.

Comment from: sikdar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I was a 32 years man when I was diagnosed with reactive arthritis. It was a horrible pain under my feet, they were swollen up with reddish color. By touch the feet were cold, as if they came out of ice. Touching caused huge pain, both my knees were locked, I was not able to fold my leg at the knee. At the same time I also had high fever with vomiting tendency and I had to be moved by wheelchair.

Comment from: ninosca, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have done all kinds of tests to find out why my joints are inflamed. The only thing that came back positive was the HLA-B27 test. My doctor says I may have reactive arthritis. It's been almost two years, and the symptoms aren't getting any better.

Reactive Arthritis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your reactive arthritis?
Reactive Arthritis - Non-Joint Symptoms Question: What are your symptoms associated with reactive arthritis in non-joint areas?
Reactive Arthritis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have been effective for your reactive arthritis?