Patient Comments: Reactive Arthritis - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your reactive arthritis?

Comment from: Lars, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with reactive arthritis 15 years ago and my symptoms were a 2-3 day build of back pain followed by horrendous (nails shooting through my feet and legs) kind of pain. I was treated with antibiotics and NSAID's but I learned the more I moved the better I felt. I also eventually began taking a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement. I began to feel significantly better and still take the supplements 15 years later.

Comment from: braxage, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had reactive arthritis since I was 8 years old I am now a 32 year old woman and all it has done to me is gotten worse over the years. I have no uveala or tonsils because my sores in my mouth that get as big as a silver dollar have eaten them away.

Comment from: slaplante, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 07

My husband was diagnosed with bladder CA in September 2008. He had several BCG treatments to fight this CA. After finishing these treatments he started to have acute, severe joint pain in his left wrist, left knee, right Achilles tendon, right ankle and foot, and crippling fatigue. His doctor sent him to a Rheumatic doctor who diagnosed him with RA. I disagreed with this diagnosis because my mother suffered from RA and their symptoms did not match. The RA doctor put my husband on an infusion drug called Rutuxin for three years and a daily oral medicine. When the RA doctor retired, my husband started seeing a different doctor. This doctor actually listened to us and tested my husband again. This time the diagnosis was reactive arthritis. This diagnosis actually fit my husband's symptoms perfectly. He has been off the RA medicine for over a year now and is doing great. Hopefully he does not have any lasting negative effects from taking such a toxic medicine for 3 years.

Comment from: Renee22, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have reactive synovitis in my ankle and foot tendons. I've been off my feet for over a week now, with very little relief. I'm on several NSAIDS, which have reduced the swelling but not the pain. My doctor says it's from the chemotherapy I had 3 years ago for breast cancer. The nerves are just highly sensitive to anything happening in my feet. I'm normally a very active person and this is really impinging on my lifestyle.

Reactive Arthritis - Personal Experience Question: How old were you when you were diagnosed with reactive arthritis? Please share your experience.
Reactive Arthritis - Non-Joint Symptoms Question: What are your symptoms associated with reactive arthritis in non-joint areas?
Reactive Arthritis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have been effective for your reactive arthritis?