Patient Comments: Raynaud's Phenomenon - Treatments

What was your treatment for Raynaud's phenomenon?

Comment from: janis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have Raynaud's syndrome which is worse in my right hand. I have a sore at the end of my middle finger. I use Nitro BID twice a day, keep it warm, wear a glove and use microwave hot pad around my shoulders which I can contact with my hand/fingers.

Comment from: saraempress, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I too have Raynaud's phenomenon but no one in my family as far as I know has this, I am the only one. It really makes me sad. My doctor said it might be caused by my birth control pills. I stopped talking the pills. I have been anemic for years. I think that has something to do with this. I am 39 now, this happened about 3 years ago.

Comment from: Sillyp, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 19

I bought my son infrared socks online and they seem to help.

Comment from: Kelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

After several visits to the podiatrist looking for relief from Raynaud's, with suggested treatment of high blood pressure medication, I started looking for another treatment. Heat based muscle rub helped, but true relief came with the use of DMSO (Dimethyl sulfoxide). Just a few days of use lead to relief. It will continue to be my treatment going forward.

Comment from: fran7992, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I've had this for years then someone, several years ago, suggested I take Ginkgo Biloba. So I did and within a few weeks, during a cold winter, I did not have any symptoms. Maybe it acted as a placenta or I "grew" out of it but the coincidence is quite intriguing. Neither have I had chilblains since taking it. Perhaps the medical authorities should look into some herbal medicines to find out what they can do or not. Anyway it worked for me and I'm sticking to it.

Comment from: johnnie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was just told today why my fingers turn white and hurt so bad when the blood starts flowing back into them. Raynaud's syndrome is what my doctor said with little concern. He told me I was going to have to keep my hands from getting cold by wearing gloves all the time when I go out or go into the freezer. I live in South Carolina, it was 73 degrees 3 days ago and my hands still turned white.

Comment from: Sara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I was diagnosed 32 years ago. I can deal with the pain in my fingers, but the open sores on my fingertips are so very painful. I only get relief from Neosporin + pain relief. The sores last for months.

Comment from: mommaj, Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I've had Raynauds for years and I have tried all things. The vitamins help some and exercise helps some too, but it's getting progressively worse regardless of what I do. If you are in a state where you can get medical marijuana you should try it. So far it's the only thing that has helped the pain.

Comment from: Que, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I'm a 54 year old man recently diagnosed with Lupus. I was prescribed the anti-malaria drug Plaquenil to help control the pain. So far I've been on the drug about a month. I have noticed slight improvement but not enough to get excited about yet. I was told it would take four to six weeks to really be effective. Anyway, a condition of Lupus is Raynaud's phenomenon. The drug I take does absolutely nothing for Raynaud's. I can barely use my hands most of the day because of the pain in my fingertips. It feels like torture; like someone is sticking needles between my fingernails. This is agonizing. I don't know if the drug I'm on takes care of this as well, but now I'm on the Plaquenil and 800 mg Motrin. Still no relief. I'm just hoping the doctor knows what she is talking about.

Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.
Raynaud's Phenomenon -Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with your Raynaud's phenomenon?