Patient Comments: Raynaud's Phenomenon - Treatments

What was your treatment for Raynaud's phenomenon?

Comment from: Sara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I was diagnosed 32 years ago. I can deal with the pain in my fingers, but the open sores on my fingertips are so very painful. I only get relief from Neosporin + pain relief. The sores last for months.

Comment from: mommaj, Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I've had Raynauds for years and I have tried all things. The vitamins help some and exercise helps some too, but it's getting progressively worse regardless of what I do. If you are in a state where you can get medical marijuana you should try it. So far it's the only thing that has helped the pain.

Comment from: Que, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I'm a 54 year old man recently diagnosed with Lupus. I was prescribed the anti-malaria drug Plaquenil to help control the pain. So far I've been on the drug about a month. I have noticed slight improvement but not enough to get excited about yet. I was told it would take four to six weeks to really be effective. Anyway, a condition of Lupus is Raynaud's phenomenon. The drug I take does absolutely nothing for Raynaud's. I can barely use my hands most of the day because of the pain in my fingertips. It feels like torture; like someone is sticking needles between my fingernails. This is agonizing. I don't know if the drug I'm on takes care of this as well, but now I'm on the Plaquenil and 800 mg Motrin. Still no relief. I'm just hoping the doctor knows what she is talking about.

Comment from: aurffe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I've just found out that I have Raynaud's syndrome. Ever since I was a little girl, I've had problems with going out in the snow because whenever I went out, I would break out in what seemed like full-body hives. Years passed and I would always have constant breakouts. My mom took me to a doctor who said I was allergic to temperature changes so I was put on this pill called cyproheptadine, which did nothing for my condition. I decided to stop taking it. Just weeks ago I was talking to my friend's step-mom about my condition and she instantly mentioned the disease/syndrome, and I went right to my mom and told her about what she had told me. She just looked at me and was like, "Oh, my mother has that" and ignored me the rest of the day. It annoyed me that she never mentioned anything to me about it, but I'm just glad I know what's wrong with me now. Hopefully, I can figure out how to better myself.

Comment from: suds suzie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I found out what was happening to my fingers and nose was called Raynaud's disease. So I started taking my Synthroid, and voila! I was symptom free in three days.

Comment from: dalmay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I was diagnosed just last year, but have experienced the symptoms since 2008. When I walk my dog during the winter, I microwave a small potato for about 2 minutes. I wrap it in a paper towel and carry it in my jacket pocket. I grasp it while I walk (wearing gloves) and it keeps my hand warm. I alternate hands as needed.

Comment from: shorty2345, Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 17 years old I have Raynaud's Syndrome. I have had it for a few years now, but it wasn't till last year that it got to the point of not being able to handle it anymore and asked my mom to take me to the doctors. When I did they told me the first time that I could go on pills my mom didn't want me to. I was 13 when we really found out what it was and it is hard. My dad's side of the family has it and I didn't know this till last year that she also had it.

Comment from: Les1981, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed 7 years ago when I was 23. It's not as bad as it used to be. It seemed to get better after I had kids. The Doctor told me I needed to start exercising more as this phenomenon has a lot to do with circulation. Seems to work.

Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.
Raynaud's Phenomenon -Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with your Raynaud's phenomenon?