Patient Comments: Raynaud's Phenomenon - Treatments

What was your treatment for Raynaud's phenomenon?

Comment from: Nettra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have only been diagnosed by a doctor that works in the office where I work. He stated that I have Raynaud's phenomenon. No one knows how painful this is until you experience it yourself. It hurts like hell. My fingers on my right hand, when they get cold they turn white and it only happens to the three fingers between the thumb and little finger. It takes anywhere form 30 to 40 minutes for my fingers to warm up. There is a burning, tingling, shooting pain and it hurts really bad. He asked me if I smoked and when I said yes, he urged me to stop.

Comment from: whirllynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have Raynaud's phenomenon and have had it most of my life. It runs in my family. My father had it, my sisters have it and so do some of my aunts on my father's side. I have found several things that do work for me. # 1 I try to keep my hands warm as much as possible. Taking vitamins such as cod liver oil, fish oil, yucca and aloe which are all ant-inflammatory help quite a lot. Limiting caffeine especially sodas have helped as well as trying to eat healthy. Also exercise helps as it increases blood flow to the extremities. Hopefully, this helps someone out there.

Comment from: Lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have Crest Syndrome, in which Raynaud's is a part. I have worn mittens since October and hand warmers in the mittens or keep them in my pockets. I was diagnosed in March of 2011. My right index finger seems to be the worst. I am using nitro-bid on it and getting Marcaine injections. My doctor has talked about Botox injections, but insurance won't pay. Has anyone tried this? Did it help? I can't take most meds, because of gastric bleeding. If it (Botox )helps, I might be willing to pay for it.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am a 55 year old female with worsening Raynaud's. My toes and feet have had it since I was an adolescent. When I was about 48 my pinky began being involved in the winter. Last year my ring finger became involved. Now that fall has hit, all of my fingers are being affected. Wearing socks and gloves, taking warm showers, staying out of the cold and keeping my fingers dry are the only tips I can share.

Comment from: softball06, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 16 years old and I was diagnosed with Raynaud's phenomenon last year. My Doctor said I can't really do anything to help it except stay warm and take my blood pressure pills. Well, nothing is working and I play travel softball all throughout winter, fall, and summer. No one in my family understands how it feels and I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: Rebecca Easton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have had Reynaud's syndrome for several years, but it now seems to be worsening (although not as bad as other patients, apparently). I live in a cold climate, but continue to enjoy skiing and other winter sports. I make sure my hands/feet don't get cold by wearing high quality gloves/mittens and also using hand-warmers which are made for skiers. When an attack occurs, I get home as soon as possible and run them under warm water until they return to normal.

Comment from: Sunflower, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was diagnosed this year in March. I have had lupus since 18 years of age. In September I had a major flare up. I've been out of work for over 4 weeks now. I have an ulcer on my middle left finger that is extremely painful. In fact my entire left hand hurts. Only narcotics help with the pain. I take medications for high blood pressure and a special cream was prepared that is helping a lot with circulation. I also stopped smoking.

Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.
Raynaud's Phenomenon -Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with your Raynaud's phenomenon?