Patient Comments: Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.

Comment from: Rynda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I rarely had any symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon before pregnancy, and it was at its worst after my second child was born. I would often have symptoms any time a cool breeze hit me or I walked into the grocery store, or have a chill for whatever reason. I might have two months out of the summer that I would have no symptoms. At the same time I was dealing with bad varicose veins, one of which was ulcerating for two years. After I had that vein removed, in order to correct the ulceration, I noticed a marked decrease of symptoms. I have not had any symptoms during the six warmest months of the year and only two months of the winter have I experienced frequent episodes. I still have significant varicose veins which may be why I still have issues, but I am thankful that they are greatly reduced.

Comment from: trixie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with Raynaud's phenomenon 4 years ago. Months earlier I was diagnosed with ulnar nerve damage. The two have similar symptoms, pain, numbness and tingling running down my arms. I work as a bartender and it adversely affects my job. My hands are constantly exposed to cold temperatures. I'm handling chilled glasses, cold beverages all day long. I try to keep a mug of hot water close by at all times to warm up my hands. I wear wool socks 12 months a year to try to keep warm. It is painful and depressing. I can't feel my feet when I walk, I feel like a trip hazard. I am looking into nifedipine because it is affecting me in summer months as well.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I just started having symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon in one finger. It started after wiping off my snowy windshield with very thin gloves. My middle finger turned white and I lost feeling in it. I put it under warm water for a few minutes and the color returned. Since then, same thing happens periodically, if my hands get a little cold. It's not very predictable, it doesn't happen every time they are cold. I have found that heating it slowly doesn't work well. But I have found massaging my finger works pretty fast. I hope this helps someone who may have similar symptoms. I have not been diagnosed or seen a doctor for this. It just started this past winter. I am 61 years old.

Comment from: SAS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I developed Raynaud's phenomenon about 2 1/2 years ago when I was diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disorder. I just wanted to say to those of you who live in the Northern states, I live in Texas and it doesn't make much difference. I have never taken a medication specifically for the Raynaud's because of some of the side effects. I have tried the things others have mentioned when it gets bad like the heating pads in my gloves, waving my hands/arms around like a plane getting ready to take off; it's just super annoying. I've noticed mine will flare in the mornings when I get up from the warm bed to a room that's just normal temperature. The worst is when I'm trying to fix a meal and have to handle cold meat or fresh vegetables. I try to avoid holding a glass with a cold drink without a protector around the glass. When I go to restaurants now I just ask for water with no ice.

Comment from: raynaudsinny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I developed Raynaud's disease over 10 years ago. At first it only involved my fingertips. Gradually it involved my entire fingers and toes. Usually cold triggers my attacks. Now it often involves my toes plus most of my feet. I experience the color changes plus numbness often followed by pain (which can be quite bad at times). Soaking in warm water helps, although soaking my feet often isn't possible.

Comment from: S K, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had terminal gangrene of my left index finger, diagnosed as Raynaud's gangrene. I was advised to have the finger amputated. Another advice was to be treated with intravenous chelation using EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid). The gangrene resolved after 30 treatments and the index finger was saved from amputation. Was this just a coincidence, a miracle, or real result from a novel medical treatment! Seeing is believing.

Raynaud's Phenomenon - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for Raynaud's phenomenon?
Raynaud's Phenomenon -Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with your Raynaud's phenomenon?