Patient Comments: Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.

Comment from: trixie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with Raynaud's phenomenon 4 years ago. Months earlier I was diagnosed with ulnar nerve damage. The two have similar symptoms, pain, numbness and tingling running down my arms. I work as a bartender and it adversely affects my job. My hands are constantly exposed to cold temperatures. I'm handling chilled glasses, cold beverages all day long. I try to keep a mug of hot water close by at all times to warm up my hands. I wear wool socks 12 months a year to try to keep warm. It is painful and depressing. I can't feel my feet when I walk, I feel like a trip hazard. I am looking into nifedipine because it is affecting me in summer months as well.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I just started having symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon in one finger. It started after wiping off my snowy windshield with very thin gloves. My middle finger turned white and I lost feeling in it. I put it under warm water for a few minutes and the color returned. Since then, same thing happens periodically, if my hands get a little cold. It's not very predictable, it doesn't happen every time they are cold. I have found that heating it slowly doesn't work well. But I have found massaging my finger works pretty fast. I hope this helps someone who may have similar symptoms. I have not been diagnosed or seen a doctor for this. It just started this past winter. I am 61 years old.

Comment from: SAS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I developed Raynaud's phenomenon about 2 1/2 years ago when I was diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disorder. I just wanted to say to those of you who live in the Northern states, I live in Texas and it doesn't make much difference. I have never taken a medication specifically for the Raynaud's because of some of the side effects. I have tried the things others have mentioned when it gets bad like the heating pads in my gloves, waving my hands/arms around like a plane getting ready to take off; it's just super annoying. I've noticed mine will flare in the mornings when I get up from the warm bed to a room that's just normal temperature. The worst is when I'm trying to fix a meal and have to handle cold meat or fresh vegetables. I try to avoid holding a glass with a cold drink without a protector around the glass. When I go to restaurants now I just ask for water with no ice.

Comment from: raynaudsinny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I developed Raynaud's disease over 10 years ago. At first it only involved my fingertips. Gradually it involved my entire fingers and toes. Usually cold triggers my attacks. Now it often involves my toes plus most of my feet. I experience the color changes plus numbness often followed by pain (which can be quite bad at times). Soaking in warm water helps, although soaking my feet often isn't possible.

Comment from: lonestarjenn, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My son has had what would be considered mild Raynaud's phenomenon, since he was about a year and a half. Although his response to the horrible pins and needles that affected him nightly was not mild; in his sleep he would run through the house screaming at the top of his lungs, jumping up and down and shaking his hands. He never woke up, had no recollection of it happening and at the time, my hubby thought he was just having a temper tantrum because it always happened at the time I got home from work around 12:30 to 1:00 am. I would take him outside with a light blanket and walk to the end of the block and let the cool night air hit his face and it seemed to help calm him, or wake him, I don't really know. I did research and got the feeling it was night terrors from a small bladder since his going to the bathroom seemed to help calm him as well. We dealt with this for 8 years before we got a couple different doctors to really help. They found that it was Raynaud's and prescribed nifedipine for him to take at bed time. It worked like a charm! No more screaming in the middle of the night, and no more going up to the bathroom and getting in the tub and running the water to adjust his temperature, to get the pins and needles to go away! However, Medicaid takes 3 weeks to get it approved! They are still not being helpful at all.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I wonder if Raynaud's phenomenon can affect the esophagus.

Raynaud's Phenomenon - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for Raynaud's phenomenon?
Raynaud's Phenomenon -Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with your Raynaud's phenomenon?