Patient Comments: Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.

Comment from: sioux woman, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I developed Raynaud's phenomenon several years ago. Tiazac is a miracle medicine for it, also for left bundle branch block heart disease.

Comment from: Hd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been very recently diagnosed for having Raynaud's symptoms although I was suffering every month from May. The first time I had pains was after a hard prick during a blood donation camp. The pain in the night and the numbness to both my forearms was so high that I felt almost paralytic. My doctor first thought it's an infection to my right hand index finger but later they concluded it was due to repeated stress injury. The attack lasts for 3/4 days a month and the frequency is now reduced to less than a month now. I changed the doctor and he diagnosed me with Raynaud's phenomenon. I have been asked to do a color Doppler imaging and then to meet him again with the reports. Let's hope to get rid of it faster. It has affected my working ability especially when we mostly are techno savvy people.

Comment from: clweidmann03, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I've always seemed to feel cold more than others. I am teased about it when I take sweater with me. I do not have a problem with my fingers turning white but sometimes 2 or 3 of them will be numb. I had noticed for a long time that when I picked up my foot to wash it in the shower it was purple from the toes into the ball of my foot. I finally mentioned it to my doctor and was diagnosed with Raynaud's phenomenon by a vascular surgeon. I have not seen this symptom mentioned by your other patients. I wonder if Raynaud's could be the cause of my always aching arms and legs.

Comment from: California Girl 1957, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), secondary high blood pressure, and secondary Raynaud"s phenomenon, and at least once or twice a year secondary bronchitis that sometimes goes into pneumonia. I also get migraines from both hereditary reasons and from the 6 disintegrating neck vertebrae due to an old work injury. I"ve had the Raynaud"s as many decades as the lupus. It"s been better and worse over the years. It affects both hands and both feet. They turn cold, white and sometimes blue. I"ve had periods of time when my legs and fingers were itching, burning, painful, ulcerated, bleeding, and split open and took months to heal, sometimes just to ulcerate or split open all over again. Limiting time spent on my feet helps. For the last 2 years the problem is markedly worse on my left side. It does not improve if I"m sitting or lying down. My left hand, and especially my entire left leg, worst of all my left foot, turn ice cold; sometimes with numbness, sometimes not. Others can feel the marked difference in how very cold my left extremities are, especially my leg and more so my foot. The only solution that helps is wrapping those extremities in a blanket to warm them. Wearing a sock to bed also helps my left foot. I am concerned as to why my left side is now so dramatically affected, while my right side is much more mildly affected.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Although I"ve never been diagnosed by a doctor, I know my condition is Raynaud"s. When my hands get cold for any reason, several fingers on both hands turn white and cause mild/moderate pain. I also lose sensation in those fingers. I usually try to warm my whole body in those moments by drinking hot tea, adding layers of clothing or a blanket. I definitely am a mitten person my fingers can"t be separated when it"s cold! I"ve found that as I get older, I"m now 43, more fingers are affected than when it first started about 10 years ago. When I"m home I can get relief fairly quickly, but when I"m skiing it can last hours.

Comment from: Nikki, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I"m a 21 year old female. I was diagnosed at 16 with Raynaud's phenomenon. My fingers, toes and ears turn red, then purple, then almost black when I"m exposed to any kind of cold. It"s extremely painful and I often lose the feeling in my hands. I get chilblains and frostbite on my toes and recently on my index finger on my right hand. I shake uncontrollably when stressed and trying to warm up is very difficult. The only times my hands are warm is when I"ve just exercised and in heat waves. I can put my hands on radiators for up to fifteen seconds before they start to burn. I have frequent muscle spasms which may or may not be related.

Raynaud's Phenomenon - Treatments Question: What was your treatment for Raynaud's phenomenon?
Raynaud's Phenomenon -Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with your Raynaud's phenomenon?