Patient Comments: Rash - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rash?

Comment from: Purple, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have been struggling with itchy, red, rough skin for about four years. The rash moves to different parts of my body and my scalp. I have been to three doctors and had little relief. When this first started, I was taking a statin drug and found that the itchy rash was a side effect. I stopped that drug, and my skin seemed to be better. However, it comes and goes, so I don't know if it was the statin or a coincidence. Since that time, I have been on several different statins and usually have the same problem. Now I'm taking vitamins, and the rash is worse. Quite frankly, it is driving me nuts.

Comment from: Stacy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had eczema for my entire life. It occurs on different parts of my body at irregular intervals! Over the years I have been prescribed a multitude of different medications, including antibiotics. My latest prescriptions are Betamethasone .05%, Triamcinolone .1%, and Ketocnazole. None of them have ever given me permanent relief. I itch on a regular basis on my wrists, elbows, scalp, and legs. Lately I have had some relief from my dandruff with Ketoconazole 2%. I use the shampoo, every other day, and the cream compound on dry spots around my hair line, but I still never wear a black blouse. Betamethasone .05% has given me some relief from scalp itching. I put it on while my scalp is still damp and message it in. My old standbys are: Hydrocortisone 1% from Costco, it gives me as much relief, or more, then prescriptions. I have discovered that ice packs bring instant relief to sever itching, especially on my wrists. I never use soaps or make-up with perfumes, they burn. And finally, after having tried hundreds of different body creams and lotions I have discovered Jergans lotion with Shea Butter. It has actually brought great relief to my very dry skin without irritation. I have started to bath in it every morning.

Comment from: hope4all, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had problems with rash breaking out pretty much all over and it comes and goes, then moves on to other areas. I have been to Dermatologists, they don't know what it is and the only thing I have been doing and using is my own remedy and its been working for me for three years and dont see doctorss anymore. I use the concentrated Aveeno with Cortizone-10. I hope this works for all of you cause it does help me a lot and I work outside all day in all weather climates. Good Luck.

Comment from: MXR, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I have had this rash for years and normally hydrocortisone helps it. However, the rash keeps coming back in summer and then in winter. I was prescribed Cyclocort ointment 0.1% in September of 2007 and have been applying it twice a day on my left leg. The rash goes away, but it leaves a dark mark on my skin. This summer of 2008, I continued to use the Cyclocort ointment, but the itchiness goes on and off. The rash transferred to my right leg in May, so now both of my legs have the rash. They're itchy, dry, flaky, and the skin is falling off. I also am using Vaseline for the dry skin problem. My doctor said not to scratch the itchy spots, as there is no cure for my skin rash.

Comment from: darlynne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I went to a dermatologist, and he prescribed Lamisil tablets and a cream. It's been one week since I've seen the doctor, and my rash is clearing up, slowly but surely. I have it on my left arm, two places on my right leg, my torso, my groin, and a place on my back. It came on suddenly, and, at first, I just thought it was dry skin. The medicine and the cream are definitely doing their job. Both of my medications are prescriptions.

Published: June 09

I've been a long time sufferer of atopic dermatitis. My skin has been thinned so bad I bruise when I scratch. The steroids over time have damaged my skin, but it helps so much. Can my skin recover at all or is it lost? My outer layer of protection is gone.

Published: May 22

Toothpaste. Works wonders for rashes. Of course I had hives and just put a little colgate really helped until I could get to my prescription.

Rash - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with your rash?
Rash - Diagnosis Question: What type of rash did you have, and how was it diagnosed?