Patient Comments: Rash - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rash?

Comment from: Deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I hope this helps someone: Every winter I get a rash. This year, I have it on the tops of my hands. What helps me sleep is to clean the area, wipe it down with hydrogen peroxide, cover it with Benadryl liquid, let it dry, and sprinkle it with Gold Bond powder. The area gets cool and tingly, and then it settles down and stops itching.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I suddenly broke out in a terribly itchy rash that was diagnosed as an allergic reaction. My doctor gave me a strong antihistamine with little results. The rash would calm down and then start up again. It appeared as small red spots on my abdomen and chest, and then it spread to my arms. I got relief from bathing with Selsun Blue, but it didn't stop. I found the cause when my 17-year-old cat had to be put to sleep. The vet found he had feline scabies. They will get on humans but do not survive long off the cat, thus the cycles of itching. Be careful in talking to your doctor about this as they confuse the treatment for feline or canine scabies with the treatment for human scabies, which is a heavy duty poisonous cream. If your pet itches and you do too, it could be related.

Comment from: Mack, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have a very itchy rash just on my arm. It gets hot; sometimes it feels as if I have been stung and is generally uncomfortable. It is so hard to sleep when it flares up, which it does every night. I have tried, with some success, aloe vera, Caladryl, and other ointments. What I have found to be most soothing though, is an ice pack or running water on it.

Comment from: peg727, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have developed pimple-like itchy bumps. I read an article on tea tree oil for itchy skin conditions and started using approximately 10 drops in bath water and applying the oil by Q-Tip directly to each sore daily. I found that within two to three days, the sore dries up and starts to heal. The itching stops upon contact with the tea tree oil. Carefully read the instructions before using for skin sensitivity to the oil. I am a breast cancer survivor, and I really don't know if this rash is a delayed reaction to treatments.

Comment from: David , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

It started as red, itchy bumps on my underarm and later spread all over my chest, other arm, stomach, and groin areas. I have seen 5 doctors and none of them have to give me the right medication for this problem. The first Doctor told me it was a fungal infection and gave me Miconazole 2% which didn't work. The second Doctor told me it was Scabies and gave me Permethrin 5% and it didn't work either, it just made it worse and spread to other areas of my body. I went back to the same Doctor and told me to use it again, which only aggravated the situation. The Third Doctor told me it was a fungal infection as well and prescribed Ketoconazole 2% and it didn't work either. The forth Doctor didn't know what it was, but gave me Triamcinolone 1% and of course, didn't work. I am now on my fifth week of this ordeal and I don't know what to do. Blood tests were taken the last time I went to the Doctor and am awaiting the results. I am so frustrated, because this thing is not getting any better, just spreading more over my body.

Comment from: Redhead, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I've developed a very itchy rash on my head and torso. The more I scratch, the redder it gets and seems to be spreading. Prednisone took the rash away, but now I'm out of meds, and the rash is worse. Cortisone cream does seem to help a little. I wish I could get a true diagnosis.

Comment from: Purple, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have been struggling with itchy, red, rough skin for about four years. The rash moves to different parts of my body and my scalp. I have been to three doctors and had little relief. When this first started, I was taking a statin drug and found that the itchy rash was a side effect. I stopped that drug, and my skin seemed to be better. However, it comes and goes, so I don't know if it was the statin or a coincidence. Since that time, I have been on several different statins and usually have the same problem. Now I'm taking vitamins, and the rash is worse. Quite frankly, it is driving me nuts.

Rash - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with your rash?
Rash - Diagnosis Question: What type of rash did you have, and how was it diagnosed?