Patient Comments: Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Treatments

What were the effective treatments for your Ramsay hunt syndrome?

Comment from: Killua, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

August 18, 2016, my symptoms started with ear pain and headache. I went to the ENT, who prescribed co-amoxiclav and said that I have an infection in the ear. After 7 days, ear pain intensified, blisters appeared and my face dropped suddenly. I also got sore throat and couldn't taste food. I went back to the ENT again, who prescribed clindamycin and Cipro, and said that I still had infection. I had follow-up again after 7 days. I lost faith in my ENT because nothing is going well for me. I decided to change doctors. The new doctor diagnosed me with Ramsay Hunt syndrome and prescribed betamethasone and acyclovir 800 mg for 7 days. After 7 days I noticed that my face wasn't dropping anymore and I could eat and close my eyes very well. My doctor says that I have 85 to 90 percent recovery on my facial nerves. But my ears are a little left behind on the healing part. But my ears are a little left behind on the healing part, I still have hearing loss and some noise disturbance. I hope that my left ear heals well in the following months. It's been 3 or 4 weeks now on my Ramsay Hunt syndrome.

Comment from: Nayudu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I had fever for two days followed by ear ache. I reported to the doctor with a reeling sensation. Initially diagnosed as infection in the right ear, but within 24 hours blisters appeared on my right ear and suffered facial palsy on the right side of my face. My right lid did not fully close and I experienced droop in the mouth. Doctor immediately diagnosed as Ramsay Hunt syndrome 2 and started prednisolone (60 mg) and acyclovir 800 mg, both for 7 days. Recovery was fast but the side effect is still there after 4 months. I am feeling much better now.

Comment from: Bellakristy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My practitioner told me to get coconut oil and oregano oil (2 tablespoons of coconut oil to a drop of oregano oil), mix together, and with a cotton ball rub on affected area and bottoms of feet. I put the oils on my feet every hour and every few minutes on my left cheek. The oregano supposedly attacks the Ramsay Hunt virus. I also went to an acupuncturist (a master; there are different levels). She is awesome. It helped me a lot with the vertigo (shakes in my head).

Comment from: Prin6lulubelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I was diagnosed with Ramsay hunt syndrome (RHS) when I turned 25; just 1 day my life took a drastic turn. I lost my job as a teacher because my speech was drastically impacted. Unfortunately, I was not in the US at that time and doctors were baffled, it turned out that I was the 1st case in that particular country with RHS. No medicines, just shock treatment and speech therapy. After 13 months, I looked improved but will never be the same, my smile is not the same, and one can clearly see the imbalance in my facial expression in pictures/photos; my eyebrows are not leveled, my lips and mouth droop. I have learned to cope with it, it wasn't easy back then, but now, after 25 years, I have learned to deal with it.

Comment from: daveschnier, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I've had this Ramsay Hunt syndrome going on 17 years. I was only diagnosed about 8 years ago. Mine manifests with intense ear pain and ringing in the ears. Stress seems to be the main trigger. I've noticed that sugar and artificial sweeteners could also trigger an attack. Five years ago I became vegan mainly due to this condition. I meditate. I have tried the steroids and acyclovir. I also tried Tegretol (which I couldn't tolerate). I had a nerve burn for the ear (so far that hasn't helped). I've tried all sorts of pain killers (none really help). But to be perfectly honest, when this thing wants to take me down there's no stopping it. Sometimes I just have to be in agony. This is the hardest part of this condition for me to accept.

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with Ramsay Hunt syndrome in you or someone you know?
Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Complications Question: What are the complications you've experienced from Ramsay Hunt syndrome?