Patient Comments: Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Treatments

What were the effective treatments for your Ramsay hunt syndrome?

Comment from: Nayudu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I had fever for two days followed by ear ache. I reported to the doctor with a reeling sensation. Initially diagnosed as infection in the right ear, but within 24 hours blisters appeared on my right ear and suffered facial palsy on the right side of my face. My right lid did not fully close and I experienced droop in the mouth. Doctor immediately diagnosed as Ramsay Hunt syndrome 2 and started prednisolone (60 mg) and acyclovir 800 mg, both for 7 days. Recovery was fast but the side effect is still there after 4 months. I am feeling much better now.

Comment from: Bellakristy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My practitioner told me to get coconut oil and oregano oil (2 tablespoons of coconut oil to a drop of oregano oil), mix together, and with a cotton ball rub on affected area and bottoms of feet. I put the oils on my feet every hour and every few minutes on my left cheek. The oregano supposedly attacks the Ramsay Hunt virus. I also went to an acupuncturist (a master; there are different levels). She is awesome. It helped me a lot with the vertigo (shakes in my head).

Comment from: Prin6lulubelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I was diagnosed with Ramsay hunt syndrome (RHS) when I turned 25; just 1 day my life took a drastic turn. I lost my job as a teacher because my speech was drastically impacted. Unfortunately, I was not in the US at that time and doctors were baffled, it turned out that I was the 1st case in that particular country with RHS. No medicines, just shock treatment and speech therapy. After 13 months, I looked improved but will never be the same, my smile is not the same, and one can clearly see the imbalance in my facial expression in pictures/photos; my eyebrows are not leveled, my lips and mouth droop. I have learned to cope with it, it wasn't easy back then, but now, after 25 years, I have learned to deal with it.

Comment from: daveschnier, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I've had this Ramsay Hunt syndrome going on 17 years. I was only diagnosed about 8 years ago. Mine manifests with intense ear pain and ringing in the ears. Stress seems to be the main trigger. I've noticed that sugar and artificial sweeteners could also trigger an attack. Five years ago I became vegan mainly due to this condition. I meditate. I have tried the steroids and acyclovir. I also tried Tegretol (which I couldn't tolerate). I had a nerve burn for the ear (so far that hasn't helped). I've tried all sorts of pain killers (none really help). But to be perfectly honest, when this thing wants to take me down there's no stopping it. Sometimes I just have to be in agony. This is the hardest part of this condition for me to accept.

Comment from: Nalphilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got Ramsay Hunt syndrome (RHS) will visiting China. It starred before I left, with ear pain and a swollen gland. I thought it was allergy related. I took decongestants on the plane over to China but my ear pain was bad. Long story short, I ended up a week after the initial pain with facial paralysis after getting off a flight. I saw two doctors in mainland China and a western trained specialist in Hong Kong who finally got the drugs I needed. I was given mega-doses of prednisone and acyclovir. I saw improvement fairly quickly with the paralysis. I got back to the States 10 days after the onset and saw my general physician, eye doctor and neurologist where I was diagnosed with RHS. I am now almost a month after the onset of the paralysis. While my face is getting better (I still can't blink properly and my smile is about 60% better), the ear pain is excruciating. I am on Vicodin and also take Tylenol 2 (Solpadeine). I am doing acupuncture every few days which helps. Sleeping with a heating pad also seems to give me some relief. Lidocaine ointment did nothing. Cold weather, wind and noise are deadly for me. I just want the pain to end.

Comment from: Jeff, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

First off, I was diagnosed when I was 27. I was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt syndrome (RHS) 7 months ago. I had 12 nights of hospital bed with some antiviral antibiotics treatment. Seven days after the first symptoms appeared I ended up in the hospital. It started with pain behind my ear. After that the terrible headaches started and soon after that I got paralyzing symptoms on the left side of my face (mouth/eye/forehead), had trouble with my balance, and I also lost the ability to taste salt. It was hard to get properly diagnosed because I didn't have sores on my skin. Therefor they needed to do a spinal tap for brain fluid to diagnose RHS. I slowly recovered. My face is no longer paralyzed, my balance is good again and I can taste salt, but I still have a lot of headaches, which are more frequent when I have stress at my work, which happens quite a lot as a teacher. My doctor told me that most people who are diagnosed with a serious virus take at least a year to fully recover, so I hope my headaches will be gone in 5 months.

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with Ramsay Hunt syndrome in you or someone you know?