Patient Comments: Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with Ramsay Hunt syndrome in you or someone you know?

Comment from: contractor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had complete paralysis on one side of my face due to Ramsay Hunt syndrome. No taste on one side and my eye on same side will not close. I was numb, but that has gone. Taste is back and some feeling in my lips. I wonder if I can expect any more recovery.

Comment from: japke, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

I'm a Swiss doctor in Africa. Six days ago I saw a child with chickenpox and said to myself, fortunately I've had chickenpox as a child. Within days Ramsay Hunt syndrome symptoms began; irritated right ear from glasses, a small area with blisters on the right side of my neck, pain attacks in neck and right ear, and since 10 hours facial paralysis (yesterday I drove for several hours with all 4 windows open). I treat it with MMS drops.

Comment from: Jette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

It is now 5 years ago since I developed Ramsay Hunt syndrome RHS). I was rushed to hospital with seizures and severe vertigo. Within 2 days I developed facial paralysis down one side of my face affecting speech, hearing, ability to eat and drink, my eye sight, and my eye would not close. Anti-viral and other medications ensured that after a week I was able to get out of bed. My hearing improved. I was not given any support other than pain killers. After 5 months I returned to work as a teacher. The ignorance of my employer (I was then disabled) meant that I was eventually unable to work and my health deteriorated to being suicidal. I had CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), and gradually began to improve. I also paid for electro-nerve stimulation and exercises at a private clinic. Over time this has greatly improved my facial nerve. Exercise has improved my balance and confidence, and I now volunteer and make every effort to get my life back. People still question and think I have had a stroke and I tell them it is RHS. Of course they have never heard of it. Every day is still a challenge.

Comment from: sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt syndrome (RHS) when I was 27 and I am now 63. I had typical symptoms of blisters in my throat and facial paralysis on my right side. I was admitted to hospital with an excruciating headache and operated on to relieve the pressure on my facial nerve. I was in hospital for 2 weeks. At the time there wasn't a lot of information about the condition. I started to get a little movement in my face exactly six months later but have never fully regained the movement of the right side of my face. I hope these days there's a lot more that can be done for people who are struck with this dreadful condition.

Comment from: TJBord, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have had Ramsay Hunt syndrome for about a month now. I am starting to get more movement on the left side of my face but I am still suffering from quite a bit of ear pain and now have pain down the left side of my neck. I can't seem to get enough sleep either. I appreciate hearing everyone's stories. I feel like I don't get good prognosis from the doctors, as to how long I am going to have to live with this, so it helps hearing everyone's different situations.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 09

My family member had severe Ramsay Hunt syndrome.

Comment from: glo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Six years ago I was hospitalized for one week with Ramsay Hunt syndrome and cellulitis in my right ear as well. It left me with loss of hearing in my right ear and extreme vertigo. My physical therapist was a lifesaver as he helped me with my balance issues. He made it clear from the beginning that (although he couldn't cure me) his job was to help me recover my balance if I felt I was about to fall. After this very snowy winter of being housebound I am going to continue treatments.

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Treatments Question: What were the effective treatments for your Ramsay hunt syndrome?