Patient Comments: Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with Ramsay Hunt syndrome in you or someone you know?

Comment from: sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt syndrome (RHS) when I was 27 and I am now 63. I had typical symptoms of blisters in my throat and facial paralysis on my right side. I was admitted to hospital with an excruciating headache and operated on to relieve the pressure on my facial nerve. I was in hospital for 2 weeks. At the time there wasn't a lot of information about the condition. I started to get a little movement in my face exactly six months later but have never fully regained the movement of the right side of my face. I hope these days there's a lot more that can be done for people who are struck with this dreadful condition.

Comment from: TJBord, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have had Ramsay Hunt syndrome for about a month now. I am starting to get more movement on the left side of my face but I am still suffering from quite a bit of ear pain and now have pain down the left side of my neck. I can't seem to get enough sleep either. I appreciate hearing everyone's stories. I feel like I don't get good prognosis from the doctors, as to how long I am going to have to live with this, so it helps hearing everyone's different situations.

Comment from: Kirk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I was first diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt syndrome almost two years ago. It started with a severe rash and pain in my ear which quickly spread over the right side of my face from the mid-line on my chin to about an inch behind my ear. I experienced intense pain and numbness that centered on my ear that also included a burning sensation on my tongue and cheek. The pain has subsided but it continues to be significant and now includes a major tooth ache in the molars on that side of my face. Gabapentin or Lyrica have been used to lessen the pain but they only help diminish the pain. Pain and numbness are a part of life now.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

The crack of my ear was extremely itchy for about 4 days. I went to the doctors on the Monday and they said it was infected so gave me 500 mg flucloxacillin and also cream to put on it. The following Friday I had to go back to the doctors and it had got worse and all round my head was a strange sensation and I saw a different doctor and he knew straight away that it was Ramsay Hunt syndrome. He has prescribed me with acyclovir dispersible tablets 800 mg. I have been taking these for just over 3 days and the strange feelings have gone round my head and the blisters have scabbed over. I'm so relieved.

Comment from: Dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My symptoms were nearly identical to Julie, but different progression: Day 1 - Constant bitter taste, bad right ear ache, tactile pain on and under the ear (antibiotic treatment). Day 3 - Malaise and nausea. Day 4 - Sudden right facial paralysis. Day 6 - Blister breakout in/on ear. I started acyclovir. It was not until I found this site that I went to the emergency room (ER) on a late Friday and told ER doctors what I had, and they prescribed antiviral. So far, two days later no improvement.

Comment from: glo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Six years ago I was hospitalized for one week with Ramsay Hunt syndrome and cellulitis in my right ear as well. It left me with loss of hearing in my right ear and extreme vertigo. My physical therapist was a lifesaver as he helped me with my balance issues. He made it clear from the beginning that (although he couldn't cure me) his job was to help me recover my balance if I felt I was about to fall. After this very snowy winter of being housebound I am going to continue treatments.

Comment from: surfdoggy1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I got Ramsay Hunt syndrome (RHS) a month and a half ago now. I guess that I'm lucky, it's not near has bad has some of these that I have read. My biggest problem is staying focused and trying to keep the nerves calm. I am making a lot of mistakes at work do to this and really need to find a cure.

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Treatments Question: What were the effective treatments for your Ramsay hunt syndrome?