Patient Comments: Radiculopathy - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your radiculopathy?

Comment from: Lucy Lock, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am interested to read the various contributions regarding radiculopathy. I had a horrendous time about 10 years ago, I thought I was going crazy. I had unbelievable pain but only at night; it started each evening at 9 pm and ceased at 7:30. During the day I was a bit wonky with walking, but I grew to dread the nights. Finally I got referred to a neurosurgeon who in the end after a lumbar puncture prescribed mega doses of steroids which stopped it. Apparently my blood showed a massive increase in the inflammation index. I also lost about 20 kilos, probably due to the inflammation. I am not sure if this is very helpful, but even the doctors seem to be stumbling around in the dark and I am wondering why the pain should return each night without fail.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: drhalister, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I developed radiculopathy at my c-8, causing soreness in my tricep, the top muscle in my forearm, and tingling in my ring and little fingers. I also had pain in my shoulder that caused some muscle spasms that required massage therapy to resolve. The treatment for my condition was traction (daily for 14 days followed by icing down the area), step-down prescription of Prednisone, and massage. In week two, we began a series of stretching exercises of the shoulders and pectoral muscles. This proceeded for four weeks, at which time I resumed golfing and other activities lightly.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: chutloon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am a disabled veteran with radiculopathy of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar. I tried all the treatments available, from steroid injections, "burning" of the nerves, and all types of physical therapy. The best thing that helped me was acupuncture. After my insurance would not pay for any more acupuncture treatments, their only resolve was to keep me on morphine and lyraquel. I would rather have been able to continue the acupuncture indefinitely since they do not want to operate.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Radiculopathy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with radiculopathy?
Radiculopathy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with radiculopathy.
Radiculopathy - Causes Question: What caused your radiculopathy?
Radiculopathy - Diagnosis Question: How was your radiculopathy diagnosed?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.