Patient Comments: Radiculopathy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with radiculopathy?

Comment from: Jide J, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

With radiculopathy, the pain started from the lumbar area, on and off, now for sixteen years; sometimes slow, sometimes snappy. Now the pain has radiated to my left leg with the muscle at the back of the thigh being the most excruciating and seemingly unending. The sole with the toes are numbed. Pain pills don"t seem to be working.

Comment from: VAW1717, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was just diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy located at C7. My symptoms were pain in my biceps area of my right arm. I also experience numbness and tingling in my right arm as well as neck and upper back and right shoulder aching. I have a constant dull ache in my upper right arm, primarily located at the center of my biceps. I have always been a bit clumsy, but went to my doctor when I started to randomly drop things. Example being one day I was flat ironing my long hair and I dropped the flat iron out of my right hand (I am right hand dominate) and burned my left hand. My right arm and hand get fatigued quickly.

Comment from: Ebelleboo2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Since April, pain in my buttocks, back of thighs and calves has increased markedly. Since May, I have numbness in both lower arms and fingers as well as numb rectum. The pain is terrible when I change positions or first walk. I am on hydrocodone and must take more than I am prescribed due to the intense pain. I go for an MRI next Tuesday and will report on this site the results.

Comment from: missy0218, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

My back problems began when I was about 35. After mowing the lawn one day (something I loved to do) I began having pain shooting down my right leg. I went to a chiropractor later in the week when the pain began interfering with my ability to walk. He took an x-ray and asked if I had been standing up straight when it was taken. I said yes. The doctor then said my spine looked like a "Slippery When Wet" road sign. And that my back problems had just begun. In 2008 I found the back pain was back. We had taken our RV to travel and on the way back stopped to visit friends. I noticed my back/leg pain would occur every time I would get up. The stairs into our RV were a nightmare. I could not get up out of the car to walk. When we got home our primary doctor sent me for my first MRI. The findings revealed a congenital narrowing of the spine, scoliosis and a few other terms for 'back is shot'. I have had multiple spinal injections for the pain - they no longer work. I had surgery in 2009 which provided limited relief. I had a third MRI this past June which showed the area above the surgical site is now getting worse and I'll need surgery soon. I'm not too happy with the idea of surgery. It didn't work in the past. But the pain is much, much worse now. It is awful trying to get out of bed in the morning because I can barely walk. I keep a walker beside my bed and it is never far away from my side all day. A TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) unit is my best friend. I'm afraid depression is taking a hold in all this mess. Can only hope it will get better.

Comment from: ladyj0815, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy/osteoarthritis in November of 2012. I thought I was having a heart attack! I had pain shooting down my left arm, tingling of my hand and fingers, jaw pain and left shoulder blade pain. My husband took me to the emergency room. They ruled out a heart attack as soon as I got there. They took x-rays and MRI and found that I have osteoarthritis. I was 43 at the time and I sit most of the day on my job, I haven't had any trauma to my body. The only thing I can think of as causing this is that I was diagnosed with having a mild case of scoliosis years ago.

Comment from: chaz6115, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I woke up with neck pain. Within a week pain increased into right shoulder blade. Chiropractic care was temporary. Epidural under x-ray minimized shoulder pain. Three weeks later I have not been able to sleep. The pain because of the radiculopathy is excruciating. Flat x-ray showed cervical anomalies. MRI had to be done sitting as MRI lying down was impossible due to neck pain. It showed degenerative issues at multi levels, arthritis, damaged disks cord impingement and nerve issues. I am scheduled for cervical fusion. I am also scheduled for a cervical injection while waiting for surgery; nerve block. I am trying chiropractic therapy and conservative solutions using cervical traction using DRX9000 and anti-inflammatory medications. Pain medications were increased and pain patch ordered. The hardest part is, anti-inflammatories must be stopped 10 days before neck injection and surgery.

Radiculopathy - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your radiculopathy?
Radiculopathy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with radiculopathy.
Radiculopathy - Causes Question: What caused your radiculopathy?
Radiculopathy - Diagnosis Question: How was your radiculopathy diagnosed?