Patient Comments: Radiculopathy - Causes

What caused your radiculopathy?

Comment from: other side, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

Decades of lifting, moving patients and equipment in nursing home and hospital setting caused my radiculopathy. Sometimes, before it became illegal, having had to work from Friday morning on call Friday night and for the weekend and not getting any more than a cat nap in a chair, my entire body now suffers. Severe arthritis in both feet, all joints and spine areas. Today caregivers are not to put in more than 16 straight hours, not over 48. I am still a limited caregiver, too stubborn to go on disability.

Comment from: momathan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The cause of my radiculopathy was I sat in an upright position on a plane for 4 to 6 hours with no change in position or little change in position - round trip. I never felt I relaxed in my head, neck, or shoulders due to the restrictions of space in the plane.

Comment from: Susanna65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was diagnosed with radiculopathy after a bout with piriformis syndrome. I had to look it up to see what I was dealing with. It's been 2 weeks and I have yet to see the physical therapist. I hope that changes soon.

Comment from: jaxmom1953, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I have had herniated disks in my neck (cervical) and lower back (lumbar). I have had several spinal surgeries, physical therapy, and steroid injections. Recently, after an electromyograph (EMG), I was diagnosed with chronic radiculopathy. I was told that the only option for me was to have a spinal cord stimulator implanted so that I can control the pain with electrical impulses.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I live in a large city and am amazed that I have not found a doctor who can help me. My pain is exactly like the definition of radiculopathy. I live with an insane amount of pain!

Comment from: pain in the neck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

I walked into a door – the handle didn't turn when I pushed – and it jammed my neck and left shoulder.

Radiculopathy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with radiculopathy?
Radiculopathy - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your radiculopathy?
Radiculopathy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with radiculopathy.
Radiculopathy - Diagnosis Question: How was your radiculopathy diagnosed?