Patient Comments: Radiculopathy - Causes

What caused your radiculopathy?

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Because I have osteophytes in spine, knee problems from screws loosening of tibial plateau fracture, and osteoarthritis, plus a pulmonary embolism problem, surgery is contraindicated for radiculopathy. I am trying to find out if I should be in a wheelchair or still trying to walk with canes. I can be upright if moving for 10 minutes maximum. Standing still is impossible. L4 has disappeared from posterior x-ray.

Comment from: DT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have had buttock pain and sciatica on and off for 10 years probably from years of running and coaching. I have been under the hospital for 3 years firstly undergoing physiotherapy treatment and then osteopath treatment. Thankfully at last the medics agree with me that my problem is not mechanical and is a bulging disc with nerve damage. I can't sit down or stand up for long periods. Pain killers don't touch my radiculopathy. I am trying to carry on as a self-employed physical education teacher but it is difficult. I am now waiting for an MRI scan before they decide what they should do for me. I am very frustrated at the long wait. No one seems to understand how painful this condition is.

Comment from: Lbsch, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 10

Spine surgery caused my radiculopathy. They accidentally cut my nerve. Now I am handicapped and walk with a cane, can only do stairs by holding the railing. It affected both legs and bowels and bladder. It changed my life. No more back pain, but I have a lot of mobility problems and cramping muscles in my legs. One side came back 90%, the other about 50% after a year to 18 months.

Comment from: other side, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

Decades of lifting, moving patients and equipment in nursing home and hospital setting caused my radiculopathy. Sometimes, before it became illegal, having had to work from Friday morning on call Friday night and for the weekend and not getting any more than a cat nap in a chair, my entire body now suffers. Severe arthritis in both feet, all joints and spine areas. Today caregivers are not to put in more than 16 straight hours, not over 48. I am still a limited caregiver, too stubborn to go on disability.

Comment from: momathan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The cause of my radiculopathy was I sat in an upright position on a plane for 4 to 6 hours with no change in position or little change in position - round trip. I never felt I relaxed in my head, neck, or shoulders due to the restrictions of space in the plane.

Comment from: rosa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with bilateral C7 cervical radiculopathy on August 23. The neurologist did not prescribe physical therapy. I finally found a neurologist who has listened to me and helped. The pain is so intense in my arms. At night it is worse. I was placed on lithium finally to deal with the depression and pain. I do not wish this pain on my worst enemy. I have lost 14 pounds in ten days with this illness. I hope that it resolves with the therapy and time soon. I do not know how much more pain I can bear.

Comment from: Susanna65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was diagnosed with radiculopathy after a bout with piriformis syndrome. I had to look it up to see what I was dealing with. It's been 2 weeks and I have yet to see the physical therapist. I hope that changes soon.

Radiculopathy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with radiculopathy?
Radiculopathy - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your radiculopathy?
Radiculopathy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with radiculopathy.
Radiculopathy - Diagnosis Question: How was your radiculopathy diagnosed?