Patient Comments: Radiation - Side Effects

Did you experience side effects from your radiation therapy? What were they?

Comment from: houston2sandiego, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed with a thymoma 12/2011 that also invaded the left auricle of the heart 3 years ago. I had surgery to remove the tumor and then I had 35 radiation treatments and had no substantial side effects. It was a very difficult situation for the radiation oncologist due to the heart issue but I came through it very well. One minor side effect was the fatigue, but I was still able to drive myself to the treatment each time. My recent annual check-up (1/2014) showed no re-occurrence. Hope this helps someone going through this; don't give up... there is an 86% recovery rate for this cancer.

Comment from: summer, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My husband had radiation therapy for lung cancer. That was over six years ago. He is still in remission. Our problem has been the treatment. The radiation destroyed the air sacs. He is now on oxygen 24/7. His quality of life is not good at all. Anyone taking radiation therapy, please ask if there will be permanent side effects.