- A Visual Guide to Heart Disease
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Is quinidine available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for quinidine?
- What are the uses for quinidine?
- What are the side effects of quinidine?
- What is the dosage for quinidine?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with quinidine?
- Is quinidine safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about quinidine?
Is quinidine available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for quinidine?
What are the uses for quinidine?
- Quinidine is an antiarrhythmic drug used in the treatment of abnormal heart rhythms such as atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and ventricular arrhythmias such as paroxysmal ventricular tachycardia.
- Quinidine also is used to treat malaria.
What are the side effects of quinidine?
The most common side effects are:
Other important side effects include:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Skin rash
- Hearing changes (ringing or loss of hearing)
- Vision changes (blurred or light sensitivity)
- Unusual bleeding
If patients experience any of the above side effects, they should call their doctor immediately.
Quick GuideHeart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.