Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

Pulmonary hypertension came into my life on December 22, 2007 at the young age of 21. Family and friends were noticing that I couldn't walk far without stopping for breath, and would be breathless with most activities. I went for an echocardiogram and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. My treatment at first was put on bosentan, was stable up until last year, when I experienced decreasing energy levels. I am now on bosentan, and sildenafil.

Comment from: nana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I am a 50 year old female. In the last 6 yrs I have had increased leg edema and weight gain. I thought I was just out of shape but had no energy to exercise. I had gone to the cardiologist many times but was told to lose weight and given Lasix. Six months ago my shortness of breath increased so much that it was hard for me to finish a sentence. I was unable to climb more than 4 steps without stopping. I went to a new primary care and told her how I was feeling. She ordered a stress test and referred me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist did many tests and told me to watch my salt intake and put me on a different fluid med. The breathing continues to get worse, so I went to a pulmonologist. He did a breathing test and a sleep study. He requested the cardiologist to do a heart catheter that diagnosed my Pulmonary Hypertension. I do have primary pulmonary hypertension. I was placed on the Revatio three times a day and I felt results within the first week. I have lost 21 lbs and decreased my salt intake to less than 2000mg daily. I feel better than I have felt in years. I wish someone had listened to me earlier. I just want everyone to know to keep telling providers how you feel until you get a provider that pushes for the real diagnosis.

Comment from: sawlove, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have pulmonary hypertension and I am sucessfully treated with hydrochlorothiazide(HDTZ), sensible eating,especially low sodium, low fat and less sugar, exercise, water, weight reduction and sunlight.

Comment from: BigMamoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was just recently diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. This is my 10th year on C-PAP, O2, had atrial-fib diagnosis 3 years ago, Cirrhosis of Liver- years ago, pacemaker put in 1 year ago. We now need to check for Portal Hypertension. There are a lot more physical problems. I try very hard not to get depressed or give up. My God and I are close. He carries me through it all. Without his blessed assurance and his strength it would be impossible. Oh there are low points but prayer, talking with others and doing what I can, when I can really helps. Contact doctors at transplant centers for their help/advice. They are more informed. Even if you are not eligible.

Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.
Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.