Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.

Comment from: law, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 45 year old female. I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension 2 years ago. I was diagnosed with emphysema when I was 37 years old. The only treatment I am currently on is my 2 inhalers. I have dizziness all the time; when I stand up, when I stretch or reach for something, when I pick something heavy up or if I hold my breath at all even for 2 or 3 seconds. I get winded and out of breath climbing the stairs, using the vacuum or making the bed. I have chest pain almost daily. I have insurance through work, but sadly I still cannot afford the expensive tests and medication that is needed. I would like to know what my life expectancy is. My doctor will not give me a straight answer.

Comment from: friar120, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have lived at 10,200 feet for 25 years. I was diagnosed with PH (pulmonary hypertension) several years ago. About 3 years ago I started having episodes of gasping air hunger with physical exertion, extreme lethargy and feeling my heart beats in the middle of my sternum and up into my neck and ear drums. This July I had 2 stents put in my right and left coronary arteries due to 80% and 70% blockage. 50% blockage was found in the other coronary artery in the back of the heart, but no stent was put in. I continue to have symptoms like the above despite having the stents put in. My problem is that the PH test shows up as only slightly elevated in Denver, which is only a mile high in altitude. I live at 2 miles high elevation in altitude and can't get a doctor to "look at the patient" rather than the test results at a lower elevation. I also have vertigo, swelling in my legs and weight gain. I have found that crashing lethargy happens when my oxygen is in the lower 80s and improves when I breathe oxygen at 2 liters. I have also been diagnosed with heart failure. I probably should be on medications, but that won't happen until a doctor recognizes my plight.

Comment from: Whatswrong, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

Clear angiograhm, but continuing shortness of breath on exertion + angina like pressure 'tightness' in the chest, relieved by nitro spray + weakness in the left arm. Pitting edema in the lower legs and ankles. Currently taking a beta blocker, calcium channel blocker, Lipitor, and a water pill. Cardiologist is not sure what the problem is.

Comment from: Annod, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was just recently diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension as soon as last week. I did not know why I have been so short of breath and cant walk up 3 steps without trying to catch my breath, the last three weeks my feet ankles and legs have been swollen which caused my doctor to run tests and PH was the result. I am so scared I would like to talk to others that have this I am 53 years old and have always been super active and hyper naturally that this is very difficult to swallow but mostly cause it is so new, I am just somewhat greatful that at least I know what the problem is.

Comment from: heartful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I suffered a blunt force blow to my chest. I was left with a small bruise the size of an elbow over my heart. My heart ached for a couple months, and unbeknownst to me blood had begun to fill the pericardial space until symptoms of cardiac tamponade sent me to the hospital to have a pericardial drain. The injury was so severe that 500 cc of fluid initially, and an additional 450 cc were drained that first evening. My symptoms returned and I had pericardectomy (removal of the pericardium) 3 weeks later. Post-operatively I suffered from severe mitral valve disease which caused my pulmonary hypertension. I continued to worsen after recovering from surgery. Chest pain, shortness of breath and fatigue led me from cardiologist to cardiologist, most trying to convince me it was due to deconditioning. I knew it was not the cause as I was trying to do more and yet my condition was worsening. I received a diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension in years later. After researching a description fit my symptoms perfectly! Still I was not given any medications for the disease until I was put on oxygen as my condition continued to worsen with my oxygen levels dropping into the 80's with walking. When I finally received medication for the disease, seven months later, it took only a week to get off the full day oxygen treatment. My energy level is low, I still get out of breath, and I continue to have chest pain which has been worsening, but I am able to breathe better since getting on the Revatio. The cost is more than $1300 a month for the drug, but to me is worth every penny.

Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?
Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.