Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.

Comment from: dancesilly2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a 62 year old female who had knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus in September 2016. As a result of the operation I developed two blood clots in my leg which broke off and hit both my lungs. The right lung had a massive embolus that blocked the blood flow to the whole lung. Echo test did not initially show any pulmonary hypertension (PH). I immediately went on blood thinners. I have had shortness of breath and fatigue even after the clots have dissolved. Another echo showed PH of 35 which my pulmonary doctor say is borderline. I have always been on beta blockers for a mitral valve prolapse. Doctor did not change any medications and does not seem concerned. I on the other hand, cannot do anything without being out of breath. I'm now starting to feel dizzy and not in control. I am extremely depressed and can't seem to get a grip on my situation.

Comment from: Seifu, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

My only symptom of pulmonary hypertension is breathing problem while moving, especially upstairs (no problem on a flat surface). Sometimes I have depression (sleep more than usual hours, unable to read giving enough time as usual).

Comment from: Sm7cb6, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I have pulmonary hypertension. I have been on rivaroxaban for 2 years. I get breathless walking short distance, putting shoes, or on talking on phone.

Comment from: Samantha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I'm 44 and I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension in 2011 during my pregnancy. I'm in the mid-advanced stage. For the first two years of it I felt horrible. I gained so much upper body weight. I couldn't walk from my bedroom out to my car without having severe shortness of breath. I would sweat so much it literally dripped off me. I felt like I was literally dying. My pulmonologist put me on a medication called Opsumit, Lasix, Coreg, and warfarin. And oxygen as needed. I feel so much better. I can do almost anything, just like I used to. I still need to lose the weight.

Comment from: Winnie, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My son had heart failure at 6 months of age. He was born at 31 weeks, only kept on oxygen for 24hours. Send home at 34 weeks he struggled to feed, I spent hours feeding him. I feel so guilty because I thought he was not right, yet the doctor kept telling me he was fine. I knew he found it hard to breathe when feeding, yet doctor kept telling me he was ok. I took him to the hospital and was told he was having heart failure. He was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension (PH). He's 2 and a half, was on oxygen for a year. Now only when needed, saying that seems quite often. He takes medicines etc., yet has never seen a doctor about his P. I just don't seem to get any answers, doctor says he doesn't have PH, so what does he have! Any time we fly he needs oxygen, how can he be sure my child doesn't have PH.

Comment from: sallyc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I was wondering if pain in the left shoulder and watery diarrhea were also symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.

Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?
Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.