Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.

Comment from: Bo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

70 year old white male, smoking for 40 years, diagnosed with mild COPD. Biggest problem is trapping of air (can't get exhaled). I have to sleep part of the time in a recliner, because of extreme coughing (have passed out). Difficulty walking because of angina and shortness of breath. Scheduled for echocardiograph and chemical stress test, and have had CT scan of lung with no tumors present. Will have a repeat pulmonary function in 3 months. Doctor stated the reason for test is to rule out pulmonary hypertension. I wonder if this seems familiar to anyone.

Comment from: Confused, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My sister is 50 years old and suffered many complications from having gastric by-pass surgery. Pulmonary hypertension is her latest diagnosis after complaining to the physicians for more than a year that she was having chest pains and shortness of breathe. She is still being passed from the lung doctor to the heart doctor and she is very afraid. The gastric surgeon is totally out of the picture. My sister has been reading and researching this disease and is afraid that she is not getting the help that she needs.

Comment from: Anonymous , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My pulmonary hypertension symptoms are: unable to urinate, sweating profusely with any type of exertion, cramping of muscles, swelling of hands and legs, headaches, nausea, dehydration, chest pain, wheezing, and shortness of breath.

Comment from: mema in nc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

Four years ago, I started having severe shortness of breath, fatigue, and a huge weight gain. Tests showed pulmonary hypertension. My symptoms were not as severe for two years and now it seems to be back aggressively. I've had more tests, more fatigue, and I am breathless after very little exertion. I just turned 50, and I feel so old.

Comment from: need2listen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

Having been the caregiver to someone who suffered from pulmonary hypertension the best advice that I can offer someone who thinks they may be suffering from this is please seek care. If your doctor is not moving along with ruling this out, seek a second opinion. My mother started to have symptoms at the age of 52, the doctor was unaware of pulmonary hypertension. She lost time while he ran several other tests to the point of testing for mental health issues before she left him and went to a different clinic. Sadly by that time she had progressed so quickly downhill that there was not much they could do. She went from having moderate symptoms to seeking care at a local clinic for some stomach pain, and within 3 days she had passed away. My point is not to scare anyone, but to say trust your body, if it is telling you something is wrong, don't give up just because you doctor isn't sure that you have this illness.

Comment from: shauny, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I have been suffering with shortness of breath for a while and it's getting really bad especially when I eat, all I eat is a small meal then I can't breath. I have put on a lot of weight around my lung and chest area. I have been to doctors so many times and they keep saying its anxiety, but I know it's not. I know my body what I'm going through is not anxiety.

Comment from: jules11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Very swollen and painful ankles numb and tingling feeling from forearms down and knees down, face and hands swollen (even with furosemide 40 mg bid) shortness of breath upon just a little movement. Feeling of anxiety, headache, tightness of chest, as in a large wrap is around chest and it has been tightened.

Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?
Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.