Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.

Comment from: helpmeplease, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My niece has pulmonary hypertension for last 5 years and her condition is getting worse. She is on 2nd type of drugs but doctors are suggesting that she is in her last episode and the last option is the lungs transplant. Can anybody help us or advise / sharing their experience how I can save my niece. she is 26 and a final year medical student.

Comment from: Bexton, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My mum was diagnosed with Secondary Pulmonary hypertension just over a year ago this is secondary to Scleroderma which she has had for 11 years. We went to Spain on a family holiday my mum had been feeling tired and light headed for a few months before we went, whilst we were in Spain she passed out and was taken to a private hospital where within 48 hours they had pretty much done every test available and they had diagnosed Pulmonary hypertension, yet the doctors back home who she had been seeing for months just kept saying she had a virus. After returning from Spain last year she is now under the pulmonary hypertension department, but unfortunately even after a year of being on medication for PH, the pressure on the heart has gotten worse and they are now trying to adjust her meds to suit her. I really feel for both patients and family who are dealing with this illness as I find it so hard to see my mum slowly becoming less and less active and the emotional strain is just as hard for her when all she wants is to have a day where she feels well enough to go out shopping or look after the grandchildren for a day without having to worry about how far she can manage.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I was diagnosed in August 2007 with primary pulmonary hypertension. I have been doing very good. I do have my good days, my breathing is normal, and I can function with my daily activities. I like to go to concerts and hang out with my friends. But then I have my bad days, where I am exceptionally tired and have to sleep for a day or so just to keep up with my work or kids. I do work full-time and for the most part, I am at work about 90% of the time. I am on FMLA so that keeps my job secure for when I am out sick. I am living with PPH and surviving. I will say try to go to support groups, they do help out a lot. They keep you sane. Good luck to everyone out there and God bless.

Comment from: jonboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I was checked for sleep apnea 11 years ago. Two years ago, I had my first two episodes of atrial fibrillation. My chief complaints after the atrial fibrillation were shortness of breath, tiredness, and fatigue. My primary physician ordered an echocardiogram that showed pulmonary hypertension. I had a right and left side heart catheter done earlier this week. The heart showed no abnormalities, no blockage, etc. I am on Coumadin, metoprolol, lisinopril, Crestor, Tylenol, Bayer, and Prilosec. My older sister has COPD, and my mother died of pulmonary hypertension complications. My identical twin died of cardiac arrest when we were 6 during a tonsillectomy. My younger sister died of bilateral pulmonary saddle embolism when she was 48, and my older brother is on Coumadin for his deep vein thrombosis (DVT) that was discovered in the past month.

Comment from: pinkie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have pulmonary hypertension. Mine is the result from taking diet pills. For the past week, my feet and legs have been swelling, and my big toe hurts. Yesterday, when I took my shoes off, I had this clear fluid run out from under my toenail.

Comment from: shayla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have one concern. I was diagnosed to have ASD when I was 28 years old. Now I'm 37 years old. I still did not have surgery which my doctor advised me to have. My question is what will happen if I will not have any surgery at all, right now. I'm taking metropolol 50mg daily, still I have shortness of breath and I feel itchy inside my chest. I know its important to have treatment, but I cant afford it, is there any possible treatment for this?

Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?
Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.