Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.

Comment from: jonboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I was checked for sleep apnea 11 years ago. Two years ago, I had my first two episodes of atrial fibrillation. My chief complaints after the atrial fibrillation were shortness of breath, tiredness, and fatigue. My primary physician ordered an echocardiogram that showed pulmonary hypertension. I had a right and left side heart catheter done earlier this week. The heart showed no abnormalities, no blockage, etc. I am on Coumadin, metoprolol, lisinopril, Crestor, Tylenol, Bayer, and Prilosec. My older sister has COPD, and my mother died of pulmonary hypertension complications. My identical twin died of cardiac arrest when we were 6 during a tonsillectomy. My younger sister died of bilateral pulmonary saddle embolism when she was 48, and my older brother is on Coumadin for his deep vein thrombosis (DVT) that was discovered in the past month.

Comment from: pinkie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have pulmonary hypertension. Mine is the result from taking diet pills. For the past week, my feet and legs have been swelling, and my big toe hurts. Yesterday, when I took my shoes off, I had this clear fluid run out from under my toenail.

Comment from: shayla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have one concern. I was diagnosed to have ASD when I was 28 years old. Now I'm 37 years old. I still did not have surgery which my doctor advised me to have. My question is what will happen if I will not have any surgery at all, right now. I'm taking metropolol 50mg daily, still I have shortness of breath and I feel itchy inside my chest. I know its important to have treatment, but I cant afford it, is there any possible treatment for this?

Comment from: Bo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

70 year old white male, smoking for 40 years, diagnosed with mild COPD. Biggest problem is trapping of air (can't get exhaled). I have to sleep part of the time in a recliner, because of extreme coughing (have passed out). Difficulty walking because of angina and shortness of breath. Scheduled for echocardiograph and chemical stress test, and have had CT scan of lung with no tumors present. Will have a repeat pulmonary function in 3 months. Doctor stated the reason for test is to rule out pulmonary hypertension. I wonder if this seems familiar to anyone.

Comment from: Confused, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My sister is 50 years old and suffered many complications from having gastric by-pass surgery. Pulmonary hypertension is her latest diagnosis after complaining to the physicians for more than a year that she was having chest pains and shortness of breathe. She is still being passed from the lung doctor to the heart doctor and she is very afraid. The gastric surgeon is totally out of the picture. My sister has been reading and researching this disease and is afraid that she is not getting the help that she needs.

Comment from: Anonymous , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My pulmonary hypertension symptoms are: unable to urinate, sweating profusely with any type of exertion, cramping of muscles, swelling of hands and legs, headaches, nausea, dehydration, chest pain, wheezing, and shortness of breath.

Comment from: mema in nc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

Four years ago, I started having severe shortness of breath, fatigue, and a huge weight gain. Tests showed pulmonary hypertension. My symptoms were not as severe for two years and now it seems to be back aggressively. I've had more tests, more fatigue, and I am breathless after very little exertion. I just turned 50, and I feel so old.

Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?
Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.