Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension a few years ago. I get short of breath doing ordinary things that other people who are healthy don't even think about, such as light housework or walking around the shopping mall. I take my medicine as prescribed by my doctor. I am grateful that I have many friends who are very supportive. At times, I feel bad emotionally with my family because I can't do the things I once did. I don't want to spoil their fun when doing things as a family. I was once a very active person and besides feeling bad physically, I have to deal with my emotions, although I always try my best to stay positive and happy. I try not to dwell too much on what I used to do, but I concentrate on what I can do. I can't change my diagnosis, but I can change what I choose to think about it.

Comment from: melrai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 35 years old and was involved in a car accident in 2004 in which I suffered a saddle pulmonary embolism. Since then, I have had episodes of shortness of breath. Last summer, I had an episode of pneumonia and was treated with antibiotics. Since then, I have been extremely tired, short of breath when I shouldn't have been to the point that I would miss work because I couldn't get up because I was too tired. In the winter of 2008, I fell off my roof and hurt my right hip. After several doctors, I had surgery in March 2009, and two weeks later, I developed severe pain in the hip. Again I was bounced back and forth from doctor to doctor. After finding another doctor, I was diagnosed with a severe infection and had surgery in early May of 2009. Two weeks later, I went to the emergency room with severe shortness of breath. I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, severe anemia that required a blood transfusion, and congestive heart failure. I was put on lisinopril and Lasix. Over time, I improved, but I still have issues. No one will tell me how I got this, what the prognosis is, and if there is anything besides medication to help. I have read some articles that show that if you have primary pulmonary hypertension that life expectancy is not that long and that is very concerning to me. I am terrified of what could happen.

Comment from: weifle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been diagnosed with bronchiectasis and one year ago with pulmonary hypertension. I am not short of breath, but almost every day starting after breakfast I feel like a zombie, kind of weak with not much energy, yet my oxygen level is tracked at 97 to 100%. I can walk ok but feel like I'm not there.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

When I am doing anything that requires increased blood flow, it is hard to breathe deeply and catch my breath. Anxiety follows the restricted breathing. This happens in cold and warm spots. I get it playing hockey where you skate quick, stop and start. Also can get it playing road hockey with the kids.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension in February of 2009. I didn't realize the shortness of breath I was having was due to the disease. I thought that it was a result of being overweight. I found out after a freak occurrence of coughing and spitting up blood (large amounts). Hospitalization and a trip to a pulmonologist outside of my hometown led to the diagnosis where a right heart cath was done to show extremely high pressures in my heart. I have a large family and they depend on me very much. I recently decided that I need to get involved more with support groups and raising awareness about the disease. I currently take Letairis daily along with Coumadin and have functioned well, as far as I can tell. I am able to walk farther distances without sweating and getting out of breath. I am currently awaiting results from my second right heart cath and am hopeful that there is some decrease in pressures. I have six kids ranging from 13-3 and not knowing what my prognosis is hurts me every day, wondering if I will get to see them grow. I pray for at least another 10 years so I can see my son grow at least to a teenager. God loves us all. I will pray for all of you!

Comment from: medicine net, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

my daughter was diagnosed with pulmanary hypertension aug 6 2009 and is 17 years old. it is alot of sleepless nights for a parent, for she feels and looks good on the outside but is damaged in the inside. with the proper medicine and hope, i put my prayers in god. best of luck to all that is going through this same ordeal.

Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?
Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.