Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.

Comment from: weifle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been diagnosed with bronchiectasis and one year ago with pulmonary hypertension. I am not short of breath, but almost every day starting after breakfast I feel like a zombie, kind of weak with not much energy, yet my oxygen level is tracked at 97 to 100%. I can walk ok but feel like I'm not there.

Comment from: need2listen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

Having been the caregiver to someone who suffered from pulmonary hypertension the best advice that I can offer someone who thinks they may be suffering from this is please seek care. If your doctor is not moving along with ruling this out, seek a second opinion. My mother started to have symptoms at the age of 52, the doctor was unaware of pulmonary hypertension. She lost time while he ran several other tests to the point of testing for mental health issues before she left him and went to a different clinic. Sadly by that time she had progressed so quickly downhill that there was not much they could do. She went from having moderate symptoms to seeking care at a local clinic for some stomach pain, and within 3 days she had passed away. My point is not to scare anyone, but to say trust your body, if it is telling you something is wrong, don't give up just because you doctor isn't sure that you have this illness.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

When I am doing anything that requires increased blood flow, it is hard to breathe deeply and catch my breath. Anxiety follows the restricted breathing. This happens in cold and warm spots. I get it playing hockey where you skate quick, stop and start. Also can get it playing road hockey with the kids.

Comment from: Becky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am 49 years old. Another tip I have found is doing my walking where there is a cart or stroller to hold on to. This way, I am able to walk a lot farther, and it is not as obvious as using a walker would be. Also, when I first get signs of congestion, I am proactive with treatment. I keep prescription cough medicine on hand and use it at the first sign of a bronchitis flare-up. This has kept me from taking antibiotics as often. I hope this helps a little. Be as active as possible, and make each day count. Embrace the good days. Lots of prayer has kept me going.

Comment from: Jackie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension in March of 2009. My symptoms were/are: shortness of breath, dizziness, swelling of the ankles, fainting episodes, and heart palpitations. It got to the point where I couldn't even take a shower or get dressed. I was scared. I still am, but with the meds (Coumadin, Lasix, Tracleer, digoxin,and Cardizem), I have been feeling a little better. I have my good days and my bad ones. I feel bad because I am only 37 years old and can't do the things I used to do. I am limited. I hate the way I feel. My doctor, who is a specialist in pulmonary hypertension, says I will need a lung transplant in about 10 years. I got this from a diet pill I took 10 yearrs ago: fen-phen, Fenfluramine (Pondimin). I have now got a lawyer to do a lawsuit on the diet pill company. I have three kids. My oldest is 17, and my youngest is four. I'm scared to die from this. My baby needs me, and my family needs me. I want to live to be 70 or 75, but I don't know if I will live that long.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension a few years ago. I get short of breath doing ordinary things that other people who are healthy don't even think about, such as light housework or walking around the shopping mall. I take my medicine as prescribed by my doctor. I am grateful that I have many friends who are very supportive. At times, I feel bad emotionally with my family because I can't do the things I once did. I don't want to spoil their fun when doing things as a family. I was once a very active person and besides feeling bad physically, I have to deal with my emotions, although I always try my best to stay positive and happy. I try not to dwell too much on what I used to do, but I concentrate on what I can do. I can't change my diagnosis, but I can change what I choose to think about it.

Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?
Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.