Patient Comments: Pulmonary Hypertension - Share Your Experience

Were you or a relative diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Bella, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension in January of 2015. It took 2 years to finally get a diagnosis. I'm on Remodulin and several other medicines. I am able to walk a lot better and breathe much better. I still have lack of energy and a lot of anxiety and depression. I can't do a lot of the things I use to do. Medicine is very intense procedure because it has to be mixed and given through a catheter every other day. I am also in the CardioMEMS test study. I also feel the medical profession as well as the general public should be more aware of this condition.

Comment from: Pankajam J., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have been having blood pressure (BP) for the last several years. It started at pregnancy and continued in fits and starts. I was diagnosed as a BP patient and administered drugs starting with diuretics. During the last 4 years I needed rest frequently while doing my morning walk. I had considerable difficulty at airports running from place to place. Doctors kept changing medicines. Between medications pressure used to remain high. About three months ago I went to another doctor, who diagnosed that I had constriction of the throat muscles due to an accident I had 30 years ago which resulted in inadequate oxygenation of the system leading to pulmonary hypertension. Now I am on BiPAP (bilevel positive airway pressure) and oxygen support at night. My dependence on drugs is considerably reduced. My BP is normal with minimum drugs. I have regular medical checkups. During nearly 25 years how I survived the onslaught of various drugs remains a miracle. Throughout the period my oxygen levels and pulse rate remained incredibly low at night for a few precious seconds. How I survived all these years is a mystery.

Comment from: I_v_k_c, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 30

My best friend had pulmonary hypertension and was diagnosed with it in 2008. Sadly, she passed away on May 31, 2014. She had her fourteenth birthday only three months before. It has been really hard for me, her friends, and family. As I look back to the last couple of months when she was here, I wasn't there for her when she needed me. All the signs were there just telling me that something was wrong and her disease was getting worse. But I didn't notice. I can remember her legs and ankles being swollen at a dance, her lips being purple and blue almost every time I saw her, she had to walk slowly to her classes or else she would faint and she had been in the hospital a lot the last year she was alive. I knew she wasn't doing very good and was there a little but not as much as I should have been. The night before, she had got a surgery to see if she could get a lung transplant and that night, her heart had just stopped. I had read online about pulmonary hypertension but I'm still limited on the information I could get. I still have a few unanswered questions like, 'How painful is it?' I don't know where I can find the answers to my questions but then I found this website and I thought it might help.

Comment from: Tangerine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 39 years old and have pulmonary hypertension. I also have a ventricular septal defect (VSD), tricuspid regurgitation, Hashimoto's and what seems like some mixed connective tissue disease. I have absolutely no physicians or specialists as they constantly give me the run around. My cardiologist 6 years ago told me that the VSD was gone and he was not sure what was causing my pulmonary hypertension only to tell me last year that he found my VSD again and that he didn't know what to do except wait and see what happens each year. It is very frustrating. I find the expertise and quality of care greatly lacking. I am worried as I don't know if I should be in the care of cardiologists and/or specialists, but no one seems too concerned. On a side note my maternal grandmother died suddenly at the age of 40 from reasons unknown, but she did suffer from autoimmune illness like myself.

Comment from: Winnie, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My son was born at 31 weeks and only kept in his incubator for 24 hours as they said he could breathe on his own. While in his cot they had a monitor inside his bed and the alarm would go of if his breathing was affected. It bleeped often and I pointed that out to the nurses, yet they only took a look at his face and said he was fine. At home 4 months later, my son had heart failure and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. I think if he had been given oxygen he would have been fit and well. I get so upset, as now his life is limited.

Pulmonary Hypertension - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary hypertension.
Pulmonary Hypertension - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your pulmonary hypertension?