Patient Comments: Pulmonary Fibrosis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with pulmonary fibrosis?

Comment from: Judi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am a registered nurse. I never smoked or drank. I worked at the same hospital for 47 years and just retired one year ago. My first symptoms were cough and shortness of breath. This was ongoing for 3 years. Chest x-ray only showed chronic bronchitis. Finally I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. They did a 6 minute walk and my oxygen dropped to 72 the first 30 seconds. They put me on oxygen and I have it on continuous, 4 - 6 liters. That was only 6 months ago. Now I"ve gotten worse. To walk short distance it drops to 74 - 80 even with oxygen. I am on prednisone 20 mg daily. Doctor doesn"t give me much hope. He told me to call a hospice. I am not ready for that yet so I will choose to hold on to my faith and believe for healing. So sorry for all of you that are going through this too.

Comment from: shirlmes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I now have serious pulmonary fibrosis. My knees, ankles and back are just giving me so much pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was hospitalized for a week 3 years ago with what they told me was COPD. It came on suddenly and by the time I arrived at the hospital I was barly able to breathe. They really didn't look any further into it and sent me home with inhalers ect.. Had several lung/broncular infections throughout the years and still didn't think much of it. In 2013 developed a cough and was having an awful time breathing. Went for a cat scan (after X-rays found scarring) a day later.

Comment from: detroit old timer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

A CT scan in November of 2012 verified that I have IPF. I do respond to prednisone. When I was hospitalized in September of 2012, my blood oxygen level was 50. I was literally blue. I went thru cardio pulmonary rehab. It helped to get my activity level up again. I walk daily, using a walking chair. Being on oxygen 24-7, along with the prednisone, has made me able to walk my two dogs again. It takes much longer than before, but I get it done. You have to stay active.

Comment from: Starjama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was diagnosed in 2009. I do not know what to expect with this disease. Sometimes I am not sure if I wish to know, because I might get depressed.

Pulmonary Fibrosis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been helpful with your pulmonary fibrosis?
Pulmonary Fibrosis - Experience Question: If known, what was the cause of your pulmonary fibrosis? Please share your experience.