Patient Comments: Pulmonary Fibrosis - Experience

If known, what was the cause of your pulmonary fibrosis? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Raewyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My pulmonary fibrosis was created by the drug amiodarone which was given for heart arrhythmia. It has been a battle for the past year. Previously I was fit person. I lost a lot of faith in our health system. I am trying to stay positive.

Comment from: Vallecitos, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have pulmonary fibrosis going on 15 years. The cause of my problem may be the medicine I take. I've been taking Remeron for over 20 years. I read that these anti depression drugs may cause the problem. My father died from pulmonary fibrosis. He was 83 years old. I was never exposed to anything harmful to my lungs. I need oxygen if I walk or exert myself. I do not need oxygen if I am in a lower elevation. I plan to move to Dallas or Indiana where I have no problem breathing. Where I now live the elevation is 6000 ft. I would like to know if indeed Remeron may be the cause of my problem.

Comment from: willy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I suffered with achalasia for a decade and was diagnosed 4 years ago. I had the new POEM (per-oral endoscopic myotomy) procedure by a very skilled surgeon, the best thing I ever did. What a life changing surgery!

Comment from: kalkat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I was diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in 2007 by VAT (video-assisted thoracoscopic) surgery and was put on large doses of prednisone and oxygen 24 hours a day. I actually believe I contracted this from the asbestos in my home. I used to sweep the loose particles from my ceiling before I knew better and painted over it. My husband also contracted IPF and died in 2011. In my case however, my pulmonologist n Sacramento (2012) put me on Imuran and declared the IPF as being in remission. I discontinued the Imuran after about a year upon contracting a MRSA infection. I continued the O2 therapy until after moving back to the Bay Area. At that time I saw a new pulmonologist who tested my O2 during exercise and took me off the oxygen. I'd been dependent on it for six years.

Comment from: jayne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have sarcoidosis which the doctor says is the cause of my pulmonary fibrosis. I am on oxygen and very short of breath. I have never had a cigarette but lived with a smoker for 25 years. I am a registered nurse and worked in the ICU for 25 years. Of interest is my husband also had sarcoidosis which never gave him a problem. Being short of breath is not fun. So far I have no edema. I am on prednisone and ASA (acetylsalicylic acid).

Comment from: cincy, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My husband's pulmonary fibrosis started in 2009. Next 4 years were pretty good, then in 2015 he had to have oxygen full time and developed lung cancer. He died on December 12, 2015 of pulmonary cardiac arrest. At least he was spared a long and lingering death. This is horrible disease.

Comment from: Jim, Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have not been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis (PF). While having a CAT scan for a kidney stone, they found scar tissue in my right lung. I have never had pneumonia or bronchitis, but I exhibit symptomology that fits PF. I was a soldier who served in the Gulf and Iraq during the burning oil fields and burn pits. I was told that a higher than average number of soldiers my age are developing PF due to the exposure. I am seeking information that might make this condition more manageable down the road. Good luck to you all.

Pulmonary Fibrosis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been helpful with your pulmonary fibrosis?
Pulmonary Fibrosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pulmonary fibrosis?
Pulmonary Fibrosis - Cause Question: If known, what caused your pulmonary fibrosis?