- Understanding COPD Slideshow
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
- Energy Foods for COPD Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Pulmonary Fibrosis - Treatments
- Patient Comments: Pulmonary Fibrosis - Experience
- Patient Comments: Pulmonary Fibrosis - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Pulmonary Fibrosis - Cause
- Find a local Pulmonologist in your town
- Pulmonary fibrosis facts
- What is pulmonary fibrosis?
- What causes pulmonary fibrosis?
- What are symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis?
- How is pulmonary fibrosis diagnosed?
- How is pulmonary fibrosis treated?
- What are the complications of pulmonary fibrosis?
- Can pulmonary fibrosis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for pulmonary fibrosis?
- Where can I get information to improve the quality of life for those with pulmonary fibrosis?
What is the prognosis for pulmonary fibrosis?
The prognosis of this disease is poor. The survival of patients with this disease is less than 5 years. It is probably best to become involved with an academic center in the area where research on interstitial lung diseases is studied in order to receive the latest treatments. These centers often are linked with a lung transplant program. Clinical trials are the best way of treating this disease at this time.
Where can I get information to improve the quality of life for those with pulmonary fibrosis?
For information quality of life and living with pulmonary fibrosis please visit Pulmonaryfibrosis.org.
Nathan, S. MD. et al. "Long-term Course and Prognosis of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis in the New Millennium." Chest. 2011;140(1):221-229. Pulmonaryfibrosis.org.
Raghu. et al. "An Official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT Clinical Practice Guideline: Treatment of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. An Update of the 2011 Clinical Practice Guideline" Am J resp crit care medicine abstract 2015; 192; e3-19.
Richeldi. et al. "Efficacy and Safety of Nintedanib in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis." N Engl J Med 2014; 370:2071-2082.
Talmadge. et al. "A Phase 3 Trial of Pirfenidone in Patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis." N Engl J Med 2014; 370:2083-2092.