Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors

Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: Gladys, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had knee surgery for the 4th time. I began to feel a hot spot on my left calf and had an unremarkable ultrasound. One morning as I was reading the paper, I thought I felt some chest pain. As a dental hygienist, I have learned to pay attention. I took a 325 mg aspirin and really paid attention. Next, within a short time I felt like I had pneumonia but didn't have a cold. I have had pneumonia before. Within a short time I felt pain in my back. At that point my son took my blood pressure which is normally 115/63 most of the time, and it was 179/117. My husband took me to the hospital and after a CAT scan, I learned I had pulmonary emboli. Doctors immediately started heparin and immediately was admitted. I was told most people do not live through this. I am so grateful. I needed to be able to continue raising my grandson, but I am still spooked by this and continue to wonder if it will happen again.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?