Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment

What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: Robbie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

This is my second pulmonary embolism, the first was four years ago and that one scared the pants off me. This ongoing one has gone to both lungs, they call it bilateral and I am using one injection 2 times a day and at the moment 5 tablets of warfarin. This is being monitored at the hospital then when my blood INR is right my general physician will take over the treatment.

Comment from: Flo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 14

A year and a half ago I had shortness of breath, fatigue and chest pains. I was sent to a pulmonologist who ordered a CT scan, D-dimer, blood tests and other tests. I started on Xarelto and returned for monitoring. No hospitalization. Three months ago symptoms started again, and I am back on Xarelto, CT scan and three major heart tests (all normal), again no hospitalization. I am otherwise healthy, now 84 1/2 years old. The clots are still there and are idiopathic, but I took hormone replacement treatment for pulmonary embolism for 17 years. It is scary and I don't feel my wonderful and well trained physician is paying enough attention and I need more information. Googling for information is not getting the job done.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?