Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: davidc, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: August 29

Please if you have any symptoms of pulmonary embolism go to the emergency room (ER) immediately, it could save your life. I lost my fiance on February 23, 2017 to pulmonary embolism. The night before she was complaining about her allergy symptoms, and I tried to get her to go to the ER but she wouldn't go. Next morning she came over and 3 minutes later was on the floor having trouble catching her breath. She passed before the emergency medical technician could get her out of house. All this was caused from falling on ice on February 3 and bruising her leg.

Comment from: SteveB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I also have the pleural thickening in my right lung caused by a pulmonary embolism (PE). I do have shortness of breath regularly. The pleural thickening is recently reported from a CT. The PE happened 3 years ago in 2013. I have been on blood thinners for maybe 10 years prior. I was told it would dissolve, but it appears that it hasn't. At this time, I don't know if this is stable or will get worse. I had been on warfarin at the time and am now on Xarelto. If you have to pay a lot, ask your doctor for a coupon.

Comment from: Chief, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

Eleven days after CABG (coronary artery bypass graft surgery) surgery, bypass, I started to cough more frequently. By late evening I coughed every breath I took. This only allowed me to take very shallow breaths. I know my oxygen saturation was less than ideal; so, my wife transported me to the emergency room. A chest CT with contrast showed multiple pulmonary embolisms. The heparin administered caused my platelets to drop to a dangerous level. The heparin was removed and I spent a total of 15 days in the hospital. Four of those days I received not therapy because an alternate thinner could not be administered until my platelet count recovered to minimum acceptable level. I am now on warfarin. I had developed antibodies to heparin.

Comment from: DCbut62, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have a double pulmonary embolism (PE). I had back surgery for two mornings (the 27th and the 28th). On the second morning I kept coughing every time I tried to breathe into the gas mask. On the 30th they got me up to walk to the front desk and on my way back to my bed all I remember is that I said I feel like I could go to the bathroom, and then I said I will wait. That is all that I remember. Everything from this point was told to me. I was told that when I got to my bed I went flat back on my bed and still had the walker in my hand. They couldn't get anything out of me (no response). They said I had a glaze over my eyes. When my doctor came to see me, he said I had a double PE, it split and went into both of my lungs. He said it did extensive damage to my lungs. He said he had only known of 3 such cases, he named the geographical locations and he said they were all younger than me and they all died. I was put on blood thinners and they placed a filter in me. As I am writing this, tears are filling my eyes, I am truly fortunate.

Comment from: galway girl, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 28

I experienced 2 bouts of chest pain close together and went to the emergency room but the pain stopped before evaluation, so there was no treatment and I was sent home in the morning. A year later after visit to the cardiologist, he sent for CT and angiogram which was abnormal. It also showed inflammation and enlarged lymph node, Three months later I had CT in lung and chest, prior to that I had shortness of breath for a week. Angiogram turned out ok. After chest infection I got referred to a pulmonary doctor who said the small area of pleural thickening in my lung was result of pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?