Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments

Question:What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: rosy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 58 year old female, very healthy and active until 5 months ago when I had an outpatient minor knee surgery. I developed a blood clot in my back of my knee that led me to the emergency room with chest pains to find out some of the blood clot had broken off and ended up in both sides of my lungs. I was hospitalized for 4 days in intensive care for treatment of the pulmonary embolism. I am now on one pill a day Xarelto. After 5 months, the clot in my leg is still there and I have been told the clots in lungs will never go away and leave scars in time that may give me problems later in life but the clot in the leg should dissolve in my body in time. I don't feel like I will ever feel the same, I am tired easily and get out of breath. I may have to be on Xarelto the rest of my life but it seems a lot better than some of the other blood thinners on the market.

Comment from: Aussiejo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a car accident which led to three DVTs (deep vein thrombosis) in my femoral artery in my leg, from my knee down. I was give Clexane injections for a week and started on Marevan (warfarin), at the same time. I was taking warfarin for about four weeks before I started getting chest pains. I went to the emergency room and they did some tests then sent me to another hospital for another test which confirmed I had bi-lateral pulmonary embolism. They took me off warfarin because my blood had antibodies in it that they could only explain as, 'my body was fighting the warfarin', instead of the clots, and put me back on Clexane injections. I had another ultrasound before I left the hospital and they found three more clots in me, another in the top of my leg and the two in my lungs. I have been injecting myself twice a day for the last two near three weeks, at home. My chest hurts every day and this lets me know what I can do for the day, I am trying to lay down and not do too much but I'm an active person and am hating it. But if I'm sitting up straight or walking around my chest hurts more and I feel as if someone is pushing on my lungs so I can't breathe properly. I was sent home from hospital with an appointment date for the hematology unit at the hospital and just told to go back then, with no confirmation that the injections will work for me or what kind of time frame I'm looking at.

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I started having pain in all my lower extremities, making it difficult to walk, and thought it to be arthritis. I was going to the doctor, taking pain medications and muscle relaxers. Early one morning I started for the bathroom when I felt dizzy, reached to steady myself and passed out, waking up on the floor and every time I raised up would pass out again. I was finally able to crawl to the phone and get the ambulance. The fireman got there first, and it was such a relief to get the oxygen offered by the fireman. I was sweating profusely and had several bags of fluid on the way to the hospital. I thought I was just dehydrated and exhausted but was told by the emergency room doctors that I had multiple blood clots in both lungs. I was in the ICU for 3 days and hospital for 4 more days. It has been a little over 3 months and I am on Xarelto. I am still told to take it easy, I am wondering how long it takes to get back to normal. By the way, the night before I passed out, all the pain went away, and have had no pain since.

Comment from: Dr Rady, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My wife is 25 years old, she has given birth to our first child 3 weeks back. After one week she has suffered from severe stabbing chest pain radiating to shoulder, increasing with inspiration. There is no dyspnea, no cough, and no fever. Firstly it was diagnosed as muscular pain as the pain was relieved by analgesics for a few hours, but the pain returns again. X-ray was done and showed mild pleural effusion, she was diagnosed as having pleurisy, she received high doses of antibiotics and analgesics with no relief till the pulmonology doctor advised her to do CT angiography which showed a small peripheral pulmonary arteriole embolism with infarcted area in lower lobe of right lung, D-dimer is high, double the normal, ESR is 115. Now she takes anticoagulant therapy (Clexane 80 every 12 hours, warfarin 5mg once daily), antibiotic (clarithromycin 500mg 2tabs once daily) and analgesic.

Comment from: Nan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am a 69 year old woman....I work in my home office and I was working late one night when I felt like I was going to pass out (I had been particularly tired for weeks so I was sleeping round the clock and then getting up to work a few hours and going to bed again.....when I almost passed out I called 911 and 6 strapping young men came and helped me slide down my stairs on my bum before we reached first floor where there was a rolling gurney to carry me out to the ambulance.....after three days in the hospital and multiple tests the doctors finally ordered a CT scan and diagnosed PE; and I figured out I had been a bad girl -- I was taking HGC - a weight loss product that was a hormone.. the heart doctor who came in to see me said -- you know, taking hormones can cause blood clots! Well then I remembered too that 3 months before, I had fallen hard against the corner of a table where the corner dug into my hip really hard and that may have caused the long blood clot I had deep in my leg.....and it threw off multiple tiny blood clots in both lungs -- the hardest part of the whole thing was...after they determined I had blood clots in my lungs they became real scared for me. I had to wait an afternoon and all night through without seeing a doctor who could tell me if I could get out of bed to use the toilet....so I had to use a bed pan in bed because they wouldn't let me out of bed -- and I hate bed pans! Now I am on Coumadin, but I am not very happy to read here that Coumadin - Warfarin is rat poison, only in different doses!

Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.