Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: October 25

I am a 59-year-old woman. One Saturday night when going to bed both of my arms were hurting and my heart was skipping and felt as if it was going into atrial fibrillation. On Sunday, I felt really tired and my heart continued to skip an awful lot. In addition to these symptoms, my back was hurting as if I had pneumonia. I remarked to someone that I thought I had a touch of pneumonia. It was not until my heart felt flush and burning that I went to the emergency room. I had multiple small blood clots in both lungs and one large blood clot in each lung. I was later told that I had a bunch of small blood clots in each lung and that the two large blood clots could have easily taken my life. I was hospitalized for eight days and am now on Coumadin. It was only because of a slight increase in my clotting factor that the physician decided to run a CAT scan that showed the blood clots.

Comment from: sylvia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I just got out of the hospital for my second pulmonary embolism attack. I'm having to take shots and warfarin. I still have pain all over, but I also have fibromyalgia, so I had no idea I was having a pulmonary embolism attack until I couldn't breathe and started to pass out. I had three small clots in one lung and a very big one in other lung this time. Last time, I only had a small one in my lung.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 20

My friend was diagnosed with blood clots on both her lungs. She was asked a lot of questions. Mostly about sitting for an extended period of time. She had not. Then as I was talking with the nurse and mentioned birth control pills she said that is mostly likely how she got the clots. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO MENTION BIRTH CONTROL when going in for any of the PE symptoms.

Comment from: hamlu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

One week ago today. I started coughing up blood clots and large amounts of blood. I went to ER at my local hospital, after CT scan/ chest x-rays. The doctor said I had bronchiectasis. I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days. I was on antibiotics/breathing treatments. They didn't give me any blood thinners, which is one of the 1st I thought they would have did. I've only been home one night and I'm having trouble breathing. Scared to death. Need advise on what to do ASAP.

Comment from: luckygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I too had shortness of breath for around 8 months; I also had a swollen calf and foot. DVT test was abnormal, so they sent me to a cardiologist who did an echo and stress test with negative results. Dr. insisted it was asthma. Finally I begged that "somethings got to give" and was sent for a CT. I also mentioned that I had done my own research and thought it was PE. Low and behold, yes it was- in both lungs. WHY WHY WHY don't doctors take patients symptoms more seriously??? I just don't understand.

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I am 28 years old and was recently diagnosed with having a pulmonary embolism. I am a very active mother of two and do not smoke, so for the cause of my PE was birth control pills. My symptoms began as sudden chest pain on my left side. At first, I was in pain only when I took a deep breath. Then, my pain began with every breath. I knew something was really wrong when I found that I could not lay down and sitting down was a chore. After one misdiagnosis of a pulled muscle, I finally went to the ER, where they did a CT scan (which was about impossible, since I could not lie down) and found the clot in my lung. This has really been a nightmare which could have taken my life. If anyone may have these symptoms, do not take them lightly because you may not be so lucky.

Comment from: patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am a 39 year old woman who was very active on my feet every day. I kept nausea all the time and shortness of breath, pains in legs shoulders and arms, sharp pain every now and then in my chest. I'm a smoker now for about 28 some years. Recently I got to where I just could not walk for the pain in legs went to doc found out I had a blood clot in leg and 2 in left lung. I was in hospital 6 days was given lovenex injections once daily and Coumadin once daily. Now on Coumadin 7 .5 mg daily. I am still active but have to rest often. I will be on Coumadin for 6 months unless I clot more. Then I will be on it for the rest of my life.

Published: March 16

My husband is 39 and was in awesome health until 3 yrs ago. He has since started having seizures, progressive blood clots, and high blood pressure. He is in very poor health now, since all this has happend. He continues to battle daily with the pulmonary embolism in both lungs, the clots keep growing on top of old ones and still there is no answers to why he keeps developing the clots, while on warfarin and lovenox injections. His blood keeps getting thicker by the day and the Drs are starting to bother me not wanting to do anything. I live with him and see what he's going through on a day-to-day basis. Anyone have any suggestions??? Please help before it's too late! Thank you

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?