Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments

Question:What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I am 28 years old and was recently diagnosed with having a pulmonary embolism. I am a very active mother of two and do not smoke, so for the cause of my PE was birth control pills. My symptoms began as sudden chest pain on my left side. At first, I was in pain only when I took a deep breath. Then, my pain began with every breath. I knew something was really wrong when I found that I could not lay down and sitting down was a chore. After one misdiagnosis of a pulled muscle, I finally went to the ER, where they did a CT scan (which was about impossible, since I could not lie down) and found the clot in my lung. This has really been a nightmare which could have taken my life. If anyone may have these symptoms, do not take them lightly because you may not be so lucky.

Comment from: patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am a 39 year old woman who was very active on my feet every day. I kept nausea all the time and shortness of breath, pains in legs shoulders and arms, sharp pain every now and then in my chest. I'm a smoker now for about 28 some years. Recently I got to where I just could not walk for the pain in legs went to doc found out I had a blood clot in leg and 2 in left lung. I was in hospital 6 days was given lovenex injections once daily and Coumadin once daily. Now on Coumadin 7 .5 mg daily. I am still active but have to rest often. I will be on Coumadin for 6 months unless I clot more. Then I will be on it for the rest of my life.

Published: March 16

My husband is 39 and was in awesome health until 3 yrs ago. He has since started having seizures, progressive blood clots, and high blood pressure. He is in very poor health now, since all this has happend. He continues to battle daily with the pulmonary embolism in both lungs, the clots keep growing on top of old ones and still there is no answers to why he keeps developing the clots, while on warfarin and lovenox injections. His blood keeps getting thicker by the day and the Drs are starting to bother me not wanting to do anything. I live with him and see what he's going through on a day-to-day basis. Anyone have any suggestions??? Please help before it's too late! Thank you

Comment from: wendy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 40 years old and had been having shortness of breath for a few days and suddenly started passing out, ended up in hospital for three days with bloods clots in each lung, the doctors were very thorough throughout my stay and determined that being on birth control for 19 years was the culprit. Needless to say, I am no longer taking BC, on blood thinners for the next 6 mos. and slowly recovering.

Comment from: jodigil1965, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 46 year old female. I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my left lung on 5th of January. I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days, but my blood count is so low that I cannot take blood thinners. I had a filter put in my right leg 7th of January. I just don't understand why my doctor is not trying to help me. He is not even worried about it growing!

Comment from: ej, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

I am a 45 year old African American male. I've had 3 separate blood clots. The last time my aftercare doctor told me the score of my Coumadin. Instead of taking 5, take 5 one day, and the next day take 2 in a half. I was rushed to the ER, only later to find out we had a misunderstanding. I was to take 5, and then 7 in a half. So please get a good understanding on how to take meds, because that one mistake could have caused me my life. I was in the hospital for 10 days.

Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.