Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments

Question:What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: Jmorgan15, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Hi, I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms in both my lungs about a week ago, I am 27 years old and a non-smoker. The only reason they believe caused this could be birth control. I am on lovenox shots and Coumadin until my blood will thin out, it has been over a week and my blood still is not thin enough.

Comment from: Harry, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

Hi, My name is Harry and I am 29 years old. I have been diagnosed with Pulmonary Embolism (clot in my left lung). I am on warfarin now (10mg) a day and getting injected in stomach twice a day. The treatment will continue for at-least six months.

Comment from: Robyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Oxygen for 8 days, Clexine injections twice daily for 10 days, bed rest for seven days, mild exercise after one week, and Warfarin.

Comment from: barbie doll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 45 year old female who is very active and usually outside as much as possible, until June 18, 2012. I had step throat and went into the Fastcare for it and when she gave me a nebulizer I developed a severe pain down my left arm and heart. So, they took me into the ER to see what was going on. They took some blood, did a CT scan, X-rays etc. They came in a little while later and told me I had a clot in my left lung, which could be treatable. I was so shocked and scared. They admitted me into the hospital for 3 days and I had to take coumidin and lovelox for a couple of weeks. I still go now every Tuesday to get my blood work done. I might have to be on coumidin for the rest of my life, but it is worth it to be with my family. So if you have shortness of breath, and pain in the left side go right away to the hospital and get it checked out and if they don't do nothing find another doctor.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: October 25

I am a 59-year-old woman. One Saturday night when going to bed both of my arms were hurting and my heart was skipping and felt as if it was going into atrial fibrillation. On Sunday, I felt really tired and my heart continued to skip an awful lot. In addition to these symptoms, my back was hurting as if I had pneumonia. I remarked to someone that I thought I had a touch of pneumonia. It was not until my heart felt flush and burning that I went to the emergency room. I had multiple small blood clots in both lungs and one large blood clot in each lung. I was later told that I had a bunch of small blood clots in each lung and that the two large blood clots could have easily taken my life. I was hospitalized for eight days and am now on Coumadin. It was only because of a slight increase in my clotting factor that the physician decided to run a CAT scan that showed the blood clots.

Comment from: sylvia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I just got out of the hospital for my second pulmonary embolism attack. I'm having to take shots and warfarin. I still have pain all over, but I also have fibromyalgia, so I had no idea I was having a pulmonary embolism attack until I couldn't breathe and started to pass out. I had three small clots in one lung and a very big one in other lung this time. Last time, I only had a small one in my lung.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 20

My friend was diagnosed with blood clots on both her lungs. She was asked a lot of questions. Mostly about sitting for an extended period of time. She had not. Then as I was talking with the nurse and mentioned birth control pills she said that is mostly likely how she got the clots. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO MENTION BIRTH CONTROL when going in for any of the PE symptoms.

Comment from: hamlu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

One week ago today. I started coughing up blood clots and large amounts of blood. I went to ER at my local hospital, after CT scan/ chest x-rays. The doctor said I had bronchiectasis. I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days. I was on antibiotics/breathing treatments. They didn't give me any blood thinners, which is one of the 1st I thought they would have did. I've only been home one night and I'm having trouble breathing. Scared to death. Need advise on what to do ASAP.

Comment from: luckygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I too had shortness of breath for around 8 months; I also had a swollen calf and foot. DVT test was abnormal, so they sent me to a cardiologist who did an echo and stress test with negative results. Dr. insisted it was asthma. Finally I begged that "somethings got to give" and was sent for a CT. I also mentioned that I had done my own research and thought it was PE. Low and behold, yes it was- in both lungs. WHY WHY WHY don't doctors take patients symptoms more seriously??? I just don't understand.

Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.