Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments

Question:What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: macca, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I am on warfarin – Coumadin for pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: No name, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

For pulmonary embolism I had Arixtra injections until warfarin became therapeutic.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 20 year old female. I was diagnosed with several blood clots in both lungs about 3 months ago. I was admitted into the hospital for over a week, receiving warfarin, and another blood thinner injected into my hips twice a day. I have been taking warfarin since I have been home. Three months later I am still getting blood work done every week to ensure my INR levels at a safe place (without being too high, or too low). I have been told I will be on warfarin for a minimum of 6 months, but could possibly be on a blood thinner for the rest of my life. Upon being admitted, I was close to having a stroke, or going into cardiac arrest. If anyone is ever faced with any symptoms of a pulmonary embolism, go to the ER right away, it could mean life or death.

Comment from: tink, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs. Was in ICU for 7 days and in the hospital another 7 days. It is almost six months and due to extreme inching all over my body my doctor took me off Coumadin. He had planned to take me off in two weeks anyway. I still have some shortness of breath and itching and it has been 4 days that I am off Coumadin. I hope it disappears in the next few days. I am 69 years old and have always been fairly healthy.

Comment from: jbben, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a PE in Sept 2010. I was admitted and it took quite a while to regulate my Coumadin level. Once stable they sent me home. They could find no source, though I had had a DVT in 2008. My doctor checked the INR level for a while. I was surprised when my INR went from 1.5 to 1.4 and he didn't adjust the Coumadin. A week later I had a second PE. They immediately started me on Lovenox with Coumadin. My hematologist was out of town when I was admitted and when he returned he said "no more monkeying around!" and had me taken off Coumadin and just treated me with Lovenox. I have been giving myself 2 Lovenox injections per day without any further problems. Apparently it is very hard for them to regulate Coumadin levels for me. I was told I would be on Lovenox for a few months and then they would try to switch me to Coumadin and would likely be on that all my life. It's been 4 months on Lovenox. As long as I have no further embolisms, I don't mind the injections.

Comment from: dshelton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I recently had an episode at work walking up the stairs and I was short of breath that evening driving home. I had sharp pain on left side/ shoulder area, I went to the doctor and he sent me to the emergency and diagnosed a blood clot in the left lung. I am on Coumadin and 2 shots per day of Lovenox for 4 days now and had a sharp pain. Just short sharp pains on the left side of my neck, but I am fine now. Probably just a pain, but doc said the blood clot is stabilized and won't break off and even if there are other clots they are stabilized with medication.

Comment from: jfs79, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 34 year old and workout almost every day including cardio. I had a sharp pain in the left side of chest and thought it was indigestion related. The pain intensified and I noticed I was short of breath and felt like I could not inhale enough oxygen. The pain worsened and went to the emergency room to find out I had multiple PEs (pulmonary embolisms) including a large one in my left lung. I am on warfarin now for 6 months and can breathe again. It takes some time to get used to a new diet, but not too bad. A section of my left lung was damaged and has not healed.

Comment from: Tippy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 18

My best friend was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. She is in consist pain. She has clots in her groin and a new one has formed on her lungs, with smaller clots. The clots don't move, and harden up. She was treated with pain meds, but they aren't working any longer and the doctors say there is nothing else left for them to do. She is giving up. She has been like this for two years. The doctors say it's too risky for them to operate.

Comment from: Gus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 47 years old. Two years ago while working I coughed up blood. I panicked when to the restroom and wiped the blood. A couple of weeks later while helping my brother in law the same thing happened. I got home and it got worse. I could hear a bubbling sound from my lungs and the coughing began followed by blood. I decided to go to the emergency room. When I got there panic took over since I was a carrier of tuberculosis I thought it was that. I was let in right away. I had tests done. I was in the hospital for six days. They told me that I was fine and sent home. The setback was that they began giving me TB medicine.

Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.